TomTom & Navigon Software - How much storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randfee2, Jun 15, 2009.

1. randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

Yo...

since I'm about to update from my 1st Gen iPhone to the new one I want to take advantage of the GPS, so I'm willing to get me one of the Navigation Softwares that have been announced and will follow the 3GS release soon.

Since I have not dealt with the matter I have no clue how large those softwares + their map data generally is. I don't have a lot on the iPhone but the occasional bunch of movies/podcasts/music for a plane trip or such should have some space left.

My question:
    Who knows this stuff and can tell me how much space we're talking about?
    I would have bet that 16GB is enough for me under all circumstances but since I want to use the phone with TomTom or Navigon Software I just don't know if I'll have half the space left or just 1GB. years ago I remember guys fiddling around with DVDs with map data on them, so I figure the volume of systems like the aforementioned ones consumes is in the range of several GB since the data will be on the device?!

Help me out here: Do I need the 32 GB version to keep the iPhone usable if I install a navigation software solution?!

regards

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

16GB should be enough I guess that tom tom will only take >1GB

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The largest capacity TomTom device I see listed on Wikipedia is 4GB, and most devices are much less capacity than that.

It really depends on how the software works - whether you download a couple gigs of data to start or if it updates as it goes from the network. Not sure if they've posted this information yet.

4. gwfattwkr macrumors member

the maps are going to take up most of the space, but I would go with the 32g, as apps get better they will require more space.

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly it will be well under 2 GB, maybe even 1 GB.

6. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

ah ok.

Since I've been using the 8GB 1.Gen all the time and only once felt constrained by the storage size I guess 16 will do just fine...

7. sjdigital macrumors regular

If you have a look at the Navigon website you'll see that their map downloads for Europe and for North America are less than 2GB each.

8. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

9. chattermark macrumors member

Tom Tom for my Winmo phone took 1gb of space. It should be about the same.

10. gwfattwkr macrumors member

32gig is the way

32 gig is the way to go if you thinking of the Tom Tom app, you keep saying that its 16g well its really 14.9.
    With the added video capabilities and better camera, you might find yourself pissed with you have half a gig left in 6 months as more and more must have and larger apps come available.

11. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Agreed.

Don't forget, you are going to be "locked-in" to this device for two years. Do you really not think you can use up 30GB of Music, Movies, Apps and Nav?

I'm expecting the TomTom App to use at least 1.5GB. More depending on where you travel.

12. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

honestly: NO! How on earth am I gonna use 30GB of music on my phone, what "trip" could be that long?

Has everyone lost perspective these days??? What are you gonna do with all that on the phone AT THE SAME TIME? Do you really think you will spend weeks or months away from your mac to sync it to again... where all seen movies/podcasts will get deleted right away, replaced by new ones... same goes for songs...
    An app like a navigation-system makes sense, yes, but the rest.... Again: Honestly I don't quite see that scenario...

anybody else?

13. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Yes! It's going to be nice to have all of my music available on my phone. If I own it, I can listen to it whenever or wherever I am.

Since I listen to music on my iPhone almost exclusively in the car, about 19GB will be music, the rest, we'll see.

I have a smart gallery of the last 3 months of photos on my phone. I make increase that to 6 months. That takes some space.

If TomTom is 1-2 GB, and a few more apps follow suit that are large, it may not be long until I am looking forward to the 64GB? iPhone.

14. Hawklight macrumors member

I agree. I was going to go with the 32GB but then I started thinking about how I have never filled my 8GB to capacity and I will never be away long enough to need that much media on the phone. Granted each user will be different with his/her needs but I will use that $100 I will save going with the 16GB to get a case/charger/etc.

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I have kind of a dumb question.

Let's say I have a 3GS.

According to what I have seen and read, the map will now rotate to orientate based on your movement.

That being said, what are the real advantages to buying the TomTom stuff vs. just using the Google Maps which now rotate?

This is a serious question from someone who has never owned a Turn by Turn directions GPS device.

Thanks.

16. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I know my garmin maps take up almost exactly 1g. Then you still have the sounds and everything else. Won't be over 2gigs though. I'm sure.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Tom-Tom/Navizon gives turn-by-turn, in that it calculates (and recalculates) routes, keeps track of where you are, and either displays or 'shouts out' directions to you as you drive. Google Maps will generate a set of directions, but can't show it to you in real time. Nor can Google Maps recalculate the route if you take an unexpected detour.

18. tjhilder macrumors regular

tjhilder

will the tomtom app work for the 3G and is it possible to only download countries you plan on visiting or does it download the whole of Europe etc?

19. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Since they announced it before the 3GS at WWDC, I would assume it will work with either as long as you have the 3.0 OS. As for the maps, I know my car model allows me to download certain detailed regions of the US, but I'm not sure about Europe.

20. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Thanks.

And yes, upon scanning my personal hard drive (brain), I do recall not having the "recalculate the route if you take an unexpected detour" as a possibility is a royal PITA.

So thanks for jogging my memory! :D

21. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

23. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Price?

I don't drive in my home city (Toronto) bcuz I live downtown so I wasn't thinking of getting TomTom.

But being that I'll be driving through Europe this August quite a bit, and don't want to do data roaming ($$$), TomTom is perfect.

Any indication as to the price yet?

24. randfee2 thread starter macrumors regular

randfee2

well... having a map or not is written on a different page... the question is if the iPhone (i think infineon) chip refuses to fix without cell-net or not. Any GPS device just calculates the coordinates and the time code, what you do with those after that is just depending on the app. (Of course you know that :) )

thanks though for the info!

@ipedro
    no infos on the price range yet. I can only extrapolate from what is is available today: I'd say 100$ by looking at the solutions available for other "smartphones". Navigon sells the "Mobile Navigator 7" for Symbian phones... european mapset costs 100€=137$... so this won't be a cheap toy...

25. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I have a suspicion that the TomTom window/dashboard dock has it's own GPS receiver and chip.

The GPS in the iPhone alone can take up to 4 minutes to lock in a position. It uses cell tower and wifi triangulation to get your position right away which speeds up the process of getting a GPS lock.

If you're in a remote part of the world without at least cell towers within your reach, the iPhone's GPS and therefore TomTom would be pretty useless.

Let's play the Price is Right here...

TomTom App: 99¢ (can't be free because of In App Purchases)

In App purchases:
    City Maps: $9.99
    State/Region Maps: $14.99
    Country Maps: $29.99

Dock: $99

I'm willing to bet that TomTom is aware that they can have a very large amount of people buying their products if they keep the price low. If they sell their maps for their regular prices, they'll still sell, but in much smaller quantities. Make it affordable to everybody and you'll get a large percentage of the iPhone population buying your stuff.

It's a model that has worked well for some game developers who would sell some games @ $50 bucks but sell many times more games on the iPhone for 99¢ each and make millions.