TomTom & Slingbox

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timmillwood, Jan 4, 2008.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

My Current Nokia has TomTom and Slingplayer on it. I want an iPhone but would miss having slingplayer and TomTom.

Are they gonna come out?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i would be really surprised if they didn't make applications for them after the SDK comes out

3. Particular macrumors member

SlingPlayer is confirmed 100% by Sling to be working with Apple to bring Sling Player to the iPhone

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

can you provide us with a link? ... it would be interesting to read what they said...

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'd like to see that myself.

6. pavvento macrumors 6502

I would be very skeptical about the slingplayer and iphone. I do not doubt that there will be one, but I have a feeling it will be 'locked to wifi' the way that the itunes music store is. AT&T's unlimited data clearly states that unlimited does not include tethering (notice no tethering on iphone) or streaming video. I know people will argue that slingplayer over edge is meaningless, but I find it to be good enough when I want to catch the last few minutes of a ball game or if I forgot to record something and want to set it up.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yet they built a you tube viewer right into the OS ... hmm .....

8. docprego macrumors 65816

To compensate for the lack of flash. Everything with Apple is done for a reason. They decided which streaming would be allowed.

9. pavvento macrumors 6502

good point about youtube but I think that the size of a youtube clip is much smaller than streaming full movies through slingplayer. I could be (and hope I am) wrong, but I can't see AT&T letting that happen on a device that is pretty much controlled.

10. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Sling uses wma (or another wm variant) to encode the video, so it would also have to have its own drivers for it since iPhone has zero out-of-the-box. I PRAY this app comes to the iPhone next month!

PS- Watching it on EDGE kinda sucks, IMO. I doubt people will bare it for an extended amount of time. Most will use wifi when available I'm sure.

11. docprego macrumors 65816

I too am hoping for a Sling client soon. Even around the house via wifi would be awesome to be able to watch TV. I could envision watching some TV at night in bed while my wife has her channel on the regular TV, or perhaps sitting out on the porch and watching something. Then there are all of the hotspots out in public like Panera and similar. A sling client would be amazing and the good news is that they said they are developing it, it is not speculation!

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html