TomTom vs Garmin for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjmff5, Oct 21, 2011.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Just wondering what your thoughts are on TomTom vs Garmin for iPhone. Really i am looking at how much it costs(subscriptions), what are the map updates like(free?), is it true gps or is it based through the phone, and what your experiences are with them. I am using iPhone 4 8 GB, iOS 5.

Thanks!

2. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I can't speak to those GPS apps but I can say that I have been using MotionX GPS for the past two years and it is amazing. It always works and the UI is great. It is 2.99/month or 24.99/year. Just figured I would share my positive experience with that software. :D

3. dancook99 macrumors member

GPS app like TomTom and Garmin, are using GPS hardware in iPhones, iPads and iPods.

I have TomTom for 18 months now. It's become a pretty solid app. 1 initial cost fee, maps are refreshed whenever there is an app update. I have also the traffic module ($20/year) which a must have in the LA area.

Tomtom's last week update is now a full iPad version too, nice.

I unfortunately don't have the Garmin app so i suggest to look at the reviews in the app store.

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I am using the Tom Tom, and Navigon. I do not think the Garmin works here in Europe but I like the Tom Tom for driving and the Navigon for walking. They should work the same but they don't. Also, the Tom Tom has great voices. I have Darth Vadar, Homer and Mr. Burns... You can't go wrong with either really I would think.