TomTom vs Garmin for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjmff5, Oct 21, 2011.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on TomTom vs Garmin for iPhone. Really i am looking at how much it costs(subscriptions), what are the map updates like(free?), is it true gps or is it based through the phone, and what your experiences are with them. I am using iPhone 4 8 GB, iOS 5.

2. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I can't speak to those GPS apps but I can say that I have been using MotionX GPS for the past two years and it is amazing. It always works and the UI is great. It is 2.99/month or 24.99/year. Just figured I would share my positive experience with that software. :D
  3. dancook99 macrumors member

Aug 12, 2011
    GPS app like TomTom and Garmin, are using GPS hardware in iPhones, iPads and iPods.

I have TomTom for 18 months now. It's become a pretty solid app. 1 initial cost fee, maps are refreshed whenever there is an app update. I have also the traffic module ($20/year) which a must have in the LA area.

Tomtom's last week update is now a full iPad version too, nice.

I unfortunately don't have the Garmin app so i suggest to look at the reviews in the app store.
  4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

Sep 27, 2007
    3 earth minutes from your location....
    I am using the Tom Tom, and Navigon. I do not think the Garmin works here in Europe but I like the Tom Tom for driving and the Navigon for walking. They should work the same but they don't. Also, the Tom Tom has great voices. I have Darth Vadar, Homer and Mr. Burns... You can't go wrong with either really I would think.