TomTom

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Smokey 25, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Smokey 25 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the TomTom car mount will be available for the Ipod Touch?

I understand it has its own GPS receiver built in so it wont matter if the Touch has one or not.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you certain you can use a Touch with TomTom?

3. Smokey 25 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the question I'm asking. I hope so!

4. Rusty81 macrumors newbie

Rusty81

I can't see why it wouldn't work, as the iphone and ipod touch have the same os and should be identical. The big question is will the gps receiver in to tom tom mount look for the a-gps receiver in the iphone?

I have a ipod touch and think it will be fantastic if I can use it for gps navigation in my car.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no GPS in the iPod touch.

Also I think TomTom is restricting it to iPhones.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But that'd be terrible for navigation. Also is there is the free and included Google maps for that!

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

TomTom will be a 1GB download from the App Store; maps are stored on FMyiPhone.

:):eek:

9. Smokey 25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware that the Ipod touch does not have a GPS built in. The TomTom car mount will have a GPS receiver built in.

Why would a WiFi connection have anything to do with this conversation. I realize that the touch uses WiFi to find your current location but this doesn't have anything to do with GPS.

I just want to know if TomTom will have a Ipod Touch version of there GPS car mount and software.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My guess is they do. Why would they not want to increase the possible market for a $100-150 device as large as possible? I suspect that what would keeping it from happening would be Apple, hoping to maintain key differences between the iPhone and iPod touch line, but in the end, I think TomTom's car mount will be available for the iPod touch.

11. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Yes it will work on iPod Touch also.

Maps are downloaded from the Store (about 1Gb) and won't need a connection to work.

The GPS Receiver will be in the TomTom mount.

Traffic updates won't work as there is no 3G in the iPod Touch, although they may allow you to pair with a bluetooth mobile phone as the TomTom standalone unit does.

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I am thinking the same thing. The only thing I see a difference in, is that TomTom's software can recognize assisted GPS, along with a cellular connection for traffic updates & need of an incoming call "alert/pop-up."

So, I would assume... the TomTom adapter will just have a slight change in software for those certain cases. No matter what, I really do think this is coming out for the Touch... We will be downloading the Maps via WiFi on the Touch. The other interesting point, is what MarkFC brought up about the pairing of bluetooth with a mobile. Logistically, that in itself, could take care of some of the downfall of not having the 3G connection for certain features.

In my opinion, the Business Model that TomTom set forth had to be a bigger market than just an iPhone. I really don't think TomTom & Apple teamed up to make it soley for the iPhone.

The TomTom adapter coming out for the Touch will/would be a absolute hit ;) ...still think the price should not exceed $79.99, but that is another story in itself!

CrackBookPro:cool:

13. reverseration macrumors newbie

i'm pretty sure they said that the adapter would just "enhance" the gps signal on the iphone