tonefxs 2.0 upgrade fee

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, Mar 24, 2011.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I purchased tonefxs1 on March 17th and I paid $4.99. I noticed that tonefxs2 is now out and the upgrade fee is $1.99; however, new customers can purchase tonefxs2 for $4.99. This really bothers me. Why should I have to pay the $4.99 I already paid for tonefxs1 plus another $1.99 to get tonefxs2 while a new customer only has to pay $4.99? I also noticed that the new price of tonefxs1 is $2.99 so I've essentially already paid the extra $2 since I paid $4.99 for the same app a week ago. I should be able to upgrade to tonefxs2 for free, right? Is my logic off here? It's not about the money - it's the principle. Anyone else in the same boat?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you contact the developer? i can see them agreeing with your logic

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I did and they haven't responded. Really pisses me off too. I've sent them three emails and I also just submitted the same thing via their website. I hate developers that don't respond to their customers, especially when they're paying customers with a legitimate issue. Makes me wish I didn't even buy the app to begin with.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya that would be a piss off, i dont like that whole idea of charging for an update when the app wasnt free to start with, overhaul or not

when lock info was updated to 3.0 it was free to existing users and it had many features added

5. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I've had ToneFXs since I first got a 3G and decided to jailbreak it to get custom sounds to replace the stupid (well, boring) Apple sounds. Only reason I did a JB (of course, once you start altering the GUI.....;) ). Anyway, I happily paid for the app, it worked great, and I recently saw the update. So I got it. It said owners of #1 would pay less for the app than new users, but I sure didn't see any way to do so during the purchasing process. But, decided to go ahead anyway. It's now on my i4 and working well. I was a bit unhappy that I didn't get a discount, but then I began to think of how much I've enjoyed having my own sounds on all three of my iPhones (had a 3GS, too), and how it was just a one-time payment to do so. I guess the app was worth a couple of extra dollars when I factor it that way. As for the OP, I would hope the dev. would take pity, but if I bought a car and a week later the price dropped $1000, it would just be my tough luck.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I hear ya. I bought v.1 awhile ago and noticed the new updated was only $1.99 for me since I had previously bought it. Personally, I think it's kinda lame to charge for a new version but, then again, it's the devs work so if he/she feels like making an extra buck or two, who's to stop them? For those of us with v.1, i would've hoped a free upgrade and then, whenever v.3 comes out, THEN charge us $1.99 for that update. I don't use it as often anymore but if the dev keeps on charging for every single new version then I'll be totally fine using the original version.

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I guess I'm just feeling extra screwed because not only did I just pay $4.99 for an app that is now $2.99, but I'm also being asked to pay $6.98 (the $4.99 that I already paid plus $1.99 to upgrade) for an app that only costs $4.99 for new users. If I had only paid $2.99 for version 1, I could totally understand paying the $1.99 to update to version 2. It just really rubs me the wrong way. It's not like it's a lot of money but these devs should be a little more conscious of their pricing, especially in a case like this where they advertise a free trial version of tonefxs and that's not the case.

Not getting back to me about it isn't making matters any better either.

8. spdracer macrumors newbie

I agree. I paid $4.99 a long time ago before they renamed it to "Lite." Why should I end up paying more than a new customer. I've sent several emails, with absolutely no reply, so I went ahead and paid the upgrade fee because it sounded so much better.
    I ended up uninstalling it because it does not work correctly. I don't want to hear, "you have a new email on your iPhone" every time I DELETE an email

9. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Spdracer: That sounds pretty bad. What else is wrong with it? That's not the first time I read about problems with the new version.

And at least I'm not alone in getting no response from them. It still pisses me off that they don't respond but it's good to know I have company. The company seems pretty lame.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

At least they didn't make the new one the same price for everyone. Unfortunately, this is what a lot of app developers have done for years on OS X, Windows.

The way I see it is that you paid $4.99 for an app and got a lot of use out of it. Then they ask that you pay $1.99 to upgrade to v2 when new users, who haven't gotten any use of out v1, pay full price. Sounds reasonable to me.

11. psywzrd, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

How is it fair that I paid $4.99 for an app, used it for a couple of days before the price dropped to $2.99, and then was asked to pay another $1.99 to upgrade to a newer version of the app when everyone else can pay just $4.99 for the newer version of the app? Or a new customer can just buy the old version of the app for $2.99 and then pay $1.99 to uprade to the new version. Basically users like me who bought the old app before the price dropped are being asked to pay $1.99 more for the new app than everyone else. That makes so sense whatsoever.

12. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Wanted to post back to let you guys know that EfkSoft came through and upgraded me to tonefxs2 for free. It took them a while to get back to me because they said my messages to them went to their spam folder but at least they took care of me. Very happy now.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

are they doing this across the board or just for you?

14. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I have no idea if they're doing it across the board. If you're in the same boat I was in you should shoot them an email though.

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

OK, I'll give that a try and see how that goes. Thanks.