Tones During a Call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tjevans, Oct 21, 2009.

1. tjevans macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006
    As close as I can tell, you can use the iphone's keypad to enter "key tones" during a call (such as when navigating a phone tree), but when you begin talking, the keypad is then muted, so you can no longer use the keypad. I need to be able to enter a keypad tone after I have spoken, such as when leaving a voicemail and copying it to other subscribers on the same pbx system. However, when I try to do this, either the iphone is not transmitting the tones or the system cannot pick them up.

Is this a "problem" with the iphone, and if so, is there a solution?
  2. bytethese macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2007
    Cranford, NJ
    I'm not sure why you are having this issue, maybe it's who you are calling? I've had to do this on occasion as well.

I usually take the phone off my ear, hit the keypad button and press the appropriate key. Worked everytime I needed it to. :)
  3. tjevans thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2006
    Yes, that's what I do. It works at first (before I have spoken) but not after, so I reasoned it's a problem with the phone -- either the tones timing out -- or the software figures you don't need tones after you've spoken.