Tonic and medicine for preventative hair loss

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Jul 21, 2009.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

What products are recommended to prevent the hair loss (I mean the hair on the head)? This is for a person with a full head of hair, who has started noticing some shedding in the shower.

Rogain's product info said it is only for the hair loss at the top of the head and does not help receding hair line or frontal part of the head.

Is there a "generalist" type of medicine which activates or rejuvenates the hair follicles to promote the hair growth?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Worth popping into your doctor YS2003. There's some other conditions (not bad ones) that can cause your shed/thin. May as well exclude something fixable before embarking on purchasing expensive products (which may or may not work).

edit: also can't make any recommendations. I'm just letting my hair go at its whim.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Unfortunately, no products like these actually work very well. Thing is, hairloss is a part of our genes and can't really be mended. I think there are some vitamins one can take to slow down the rate of which you lose hair, but if it's gone, it's gone.

I'm a lucky guy with a full head of thick, dark hair. Unfortunately, in about ten years that won't be the case anymore of I have my dad's genes. =/

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not true. Rogaine works extremely well, as long as you start using it early on. Propecia also is excellent. Now- I'm speaking as someone who shaves his head. ;) I actually used Rogaine for a while in my early 20s. It works. You just can't ever stop using it. If you do, all that newly grown hair falls right out very fast. I eventually decided to get rid of it all. I wish I'd done it sooner. I like how I look with no hair, and so do all my guys. I'm rarely without company. :)

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Baldness actually comes from the mother's side. It doesn't matter if your dad is bald, it does matter if you have a bald grandfather on your mother's side.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Just to be fair, you do look very good bald. But I still insist that you can't regrow hair that has fallen out with roots (which is what I meant). You can only slow down the process or repair "damaged" hair.

I don't. Wohoo! =D

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You don't actually LOSE hair. It migrates south to your nose, your ears, and your back. ;)

Sorry - eat a well-balanced diet, exercise. However, if your genes dictate, hair loss, aging, loss of hair color, boobs sagging, wrinkles - aging of all types will eventually occur.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Propecia will stop loss completely, and regrow some new. That's why anyone who wants to do this should do it ASAP.

Filthy lie. The men on my mother's side had lots of hair on their heads all their lives. My Dad's side? All bald.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2610/is-male-pattern-baldness-inherited-whos-to-blame

Another thing to keep in mind- testosterone is to blame for this. The more you have the more likely you go bald. If you're a hairy guy in general, you're more likely to go bald.

10. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I find that hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it, for now. :)

As for the bald thing, thanks for again making me nervous about my 30's. ;)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Most guys who go bald start losing hair early- around 19-20.

Here's some Propecia info:

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/propecia/consumer/index.jsp

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It doesn't matter if your Uncle is bald either. He inherited the X-chromo from his mother. It DOES matter if your maternal Grandfather is bald. Mom will be guaranteed one balding X-chromo. It's fifty-fifty from there unless Mom is bald too; in that case all of her male offsprings will be bald.

Back on topic: Preemptive strike is the way to go. Shave your head.:eek::p:D:D;) If your gonna be bald, be bald on your own terms.;)

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That is true… my maternal grandfather was well on his way to complete baldness when he got married around 22 yo. One of his two sons was also bald by his early 20s. The other has a lush head of hair — although he was premature grey at age 30. :)

I have defintely inherited my father's hair pattern. Just your bog standard Male pattern baldness. So I just keep it short. :)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what I did. It felt good.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I've read stuff that says otherwise... :confused:

from http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/7953 , it says the gene comes mainly from the mother's side, but other factors are involved too...

EDIT: I meant grandfather in my post, not uncle.