Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Any West Wing fans here?

Tonight's episode was AMAZING, and so was the preview for next week's episode! Josh and Donna making out, Sam Seaborn coming back...seriously, tonight has been a good night.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Saw TiVo recorded it, haven't watched. Likely will tonight. I'm sure it's good; this whole season has been really great.

I'm just still pissed off that it's cancelled. :mad:

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
It was ok. Wells is trying to finish strong and I respect that, but it still doesnt have the soul and quality that Sorkin did.

Josh/Donna's relationship is gimicky and cliche' - it reeks of ER (wonder why??)

Im still waiting for Will and Santos to become real characters, Bartlett, CJ and Josh hafent been well written in a LONG time. Watch "Celestial Navigation", "Two Cathedrals", "Mr. Willis of Ohio " or really anything with the classic "reaching for democratic ideals" that Toby/Sam represented. The writers havent replaced that element at all, the show has no soul.

But I will stay and watch the show die out of respect for what it was for 3.5 seasons.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm just curious as to how they are going to deal with the death of John Spencer (Leo McGarry)... since they hadn't finished filming the show at the time of his death, it seems like Leo will have to die, as well... probably a second heart attack, and it'll occur between episodes, so the opening scene of some episode will be someone calling someone else to say that Leo has passed away.

In real life, of course, that would be a HUGE disaster for the ticket, especially occurring within the final 3 weeks before the election... which means that Vinick should be elected.

Donna's had a thing for Josh for the ENTIRE series... but he was always too blind to really notice. Seems like now, at the last minute, he finally has figured out what's going on. Gotta give mad props to Will Bailey, though... seems like he has previously bagged both Donna and Kate Harper. Not bad for a somewhat-nerdy guy.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
clayj said:
I'm just curious as to how they are going to deal with the death of John Spencer (Leo McGarry)... since they hadn't finished filming the show at the time of his death, it seems like Leo will have to die, as well...
Actually, based on an article I read (CNN?) that's not true. Around Spencer's death, there was an interview with the powers-that-be, who confessed that left them in a pinch for the second half of the final season. John had several filmed episodes ("in the can") ready to air, but it left the conclusion muddled. Death was not necessarily an option on the table; Leo can be off-camera for much of second half.

What was interesting is that there's no verbiage in the Constitution that states what happens if a candidate dies at such a late juncture. That, to me, smells like "story opportunity." They also stated they still hadn't decided who would win the election yet.

Were the show to keep running, I think it was a foregone conclusion that Santos was going to win. With the show ending -- and now with Spencer's death -- a Vinick victory seems more likely.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
clayj said:
I'm just curious as to how they are going to deal with the death of John Spencer (Leo McGarry)... since they hadn't finished filming the show at the time of his death, it seems like Leo will have to die, as well... probably a second heart attack, and it'll occur between episodes, so the opening scene of some episode will be someone calling someone else to say that Leo has passed away.

In real life, of course, that would be a HUGE disaster for the ticket, especially occurring within the final 3 weeks before the election... which means that Vinick should be elected.

Donna's had a thing for Josh for the ENTIRE series... but he was always too blind to really notice. Seems like now, at the last minute, he finally has figured out what's going on. Gotta give mad props to Will Bailey, though... seems like he has previously bagged both Donna and Kate Harper. Not bad for a somewhat-nerdy guy.

Personally, I'm a hardcore West Wing fan, but when did Will get with Donna? Did I miss something? BTW, Leo's death will not (to some degree) happen between episodes; I read some spoiler info at westwing.bewarne.com (<- not a link to the spoiler page) that gave it away in some sense. I'm rooting for Santos in the end, however Vinick isn't that bad of a guy for a Republican and all. Leo and Josh have definitely been my favorite characters in the entire series; I'm very sad that it's ending.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I'm going to revive this thread to mention that the series finale of the West Wing aired tonight. This was my favorite show of all time, and it was a touching sendoff to a set of characters that we have grown to know and love. Kudos to the cast and crew who made this show the best thing on televison. Bartlett in '08!

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
It's on TiVo and I'll get it sometime this week, but for all the "West Wing" fans I wanted to mention that Sorkin has a new TV show announced by NBC today:
CNN said:
That's what advertisers, who will commit to billions of dollars of commercial time over the next few weeks in the process known as the upfront, are most eager to see from NBC. Sorkin's show "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" is the most prominent new series.

Sorkin, creator of "The West Wing," brings Bradley Whitford from that series to his new show, along with Matthew Perry of "Friends" and Amanda Peet. It's about the turmoil and romance backstage at a network comedy sketch show, and NBC is telegraphing its importance by scheduling it at 9 p.m. on Thursdays -- once the time slot of "Cheers" and "Seinfeld."
Hopefully some of the "magic" of the "West Wing" will find its way to this new show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.