Tons of kernel panics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taylorwilsdon, Aug 8, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've had 4 or 5 kernel panics today and I want to try to figure out whats up. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, Firefox 3, iTunes and Mail are usually open.

Here is the crash report:

Any help is greatly appreciated because I need to at least know how to duplicate it if I'm going to take it into Apple. Even better would be finding whats wrong with it and fixing it myself.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Most kernel panics are mostly caused by hardware issues and the most common hardware issue is bad RAM.

Do you have any peripherals connected to this Mac?

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are the only peripherials (so not technically "connected" :p)

I'm actually not sure how to run memtest on a mac but I've done it on a PC before (and it appears they charge money for the Mac version?)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, there was a free version last I checked. I don't have a ton of faith in it though. A better strategy is to remove the modules one by one. You could also try reseating them.

5. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Ran Memtest:
    All tests passed! Execution time: 2979 seconds.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know the problem keeps cropping up, before it was the downloading SW overloading things.

Now :confused:

Some have said to try disabling IPv6 in Network>TCPIP and switch Mail.app from auto-update to manual.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Every time you have a kernel panic, write down exactly what you were doing/had open right before the crash. Look for common items on the list, and don't rule out multiple causes.

As a last resort, you could do a fresh install of your OS.

8. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1224480

That whole thread is filled with people having this exact problem so it appears to be somewhat widespread.

Before I found that, I thought iTunes was the problem because its been open each time and when I opened iTunes a minute ago, the library was corrupted (damaged) and couldn't open.

Now I'm 99% sure its related to Airport. My connection has been dropping all day and when I reboot after the KP, its disconnected and I have to choose it from the airport list even though its my preferred network.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For people running PTP applications. I don't see any other patterns.

10. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

P2p and mail seem to be the common denominators. I don't do any p2p (I have transmission installed but I don't know the last time I used it) and I switched mail to manual, but I'm still having some KP's.

I'm thinking it may be airport related?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've seen the suggestions that it's caused by Airport drivers, but this can't explain why everybody doesn't have it. When in any doubt I usually go with a hardware problem.

12. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

If you've got Applecare, run TechTools Deluxe.

Otherwise, stick your Restore Disc 1 in and hold down D while booting the computer up. It should go into a diagnostic mode so you can run hardware tests to see if any hardware is messed up.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I used to suggest running the hardware test, but since I've never heard of anyone learning anything useful, I've stopped recommending it.

14. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Never buy applecare :( I'll try the hardware test. I'm giving it one more day of self diagnostics then I'm dropping it off at Apple.

15. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Found an Applecare CD, ran TechTool.

Everything passed, but it didn't test the Airport so I don't know how useful it was :rolleyes: