'Tons of new Thunderbolt Devices' at IDF

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I just saw this on AnandTech.

Nothing that really interests me but maybe others.

I was hoping for a USB3 to TB adapter but maybe later this year...

Update: Interesting Reply:

"Well those are a whole lot of non-interesting.

Does ANYONE provide the Thunderbolt peripheral that would actually be useful to more than a tiny minority --- TB to maybe 3 USB3 ports, or 2 USB3 ports and an eSATA port? Heck, throw in a gigE port (they're cheap) as well for MBAs without gigE.

I don't understand what is going on here. It is obvious that this is the peripheral people want, and yet the brand makers refuse to provide it. I expect in six months Chinese brands like Kingwin WILL be providing this sort of thing for $30, and the name brands will be crying about how difficult it is to compete with China."

-P

2. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Yeah...this may be me being completely ignorant, but I am worried thunderbolt will be the next firewire :eek:

3. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

I don't think so. The only reason it hasn't been tapped into is because of the 1 year embargo.

It really makes no sense tbh, but hey, Apple does what Apple does.

4. Pentad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pentad

It does seem like it is going that way, doesn't? :eek:

-P

5. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

It is already... One of FireWire's strengths compared to USB is the ability to daisy-chain peripherals, yet this requires that the peripheral in question has a secondary FireWire port to connect to the rest of the chain. Not too many vendors thought about this and I've yet to see a Thunderbolt peripheral with a secondary port. Nada.

6. goMac macrumors 603

7. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

8. goMac macrumors 603

Sure, but as I pointed out, all the Thunderbolt hard drives on the market as well can daisy chain. Macworld even noted that the Little Big Disk has this ability in their review:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/160726/2011/06/littlebigdisktbolt.html

I don't actually know of any Thunderbolt peripheral that doesn't daisy chain like you say, only adaptors, which can just be put on the end of the chain anyway (and also aren't supposed to be bulky.)

9. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that it is going to be worse than just "the next firewire".

10. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

it's nearly 10 months - not one single consumer device available. I don't need a $1000 external drive. Just give me the option of USB3, eSATA, and/or external enclosure that can utilize the TB port performance speeds.

this launch or ongoing launch is so bad. It's the worse release in history. If you were to ask what is the biggest fail in Apple history, this would rank top 3.

11. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call that tons, but good to see some devices are being made.

However, it seems the common customer is being forgotten. All I care about is ...

1. Affordable External Hard Drives (Hopefully utilizing SSD, as HDD would cripple read/write speeds making Thunderbolt pointless)

2. External graphics card (Preferably ones that won't necessarily require external power)

That's all I care about really. I don't give a damn about all these enterprise solutions to problems that I don't have.

12. Liquinn Suspended

I can't wait till we have some proper Thunderbolt enabled things :)

13. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Thunderbolt has a ton of potential, hopefully manufacturers will figure that out and make some awesome peripherals. I'm looking forward to it

14. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

No one uses thunderbolt. It's a gimmick for now. In fact even if it was used to its maximum potential, would the consumer of today fully utilize it?

I don't think so either other than increased thumb drive speeds everything else is simply not necessary. So the so called potential of TB is nonexistent

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wonder if Intel is actually telling the OEMs to step back. It really can't take LaCie this long to release a freaking external HD, especially when they have demoed it months ago.

16. Mago macrumors 68000

Yes, that is the same I want from TB.

A simple dock station with SATA/eSATA and USB3, also a Video link to external monitor (no external GPU since TB is equivalente to a 1 line PCIe).

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i agree - but why would intel do this? RIP their own baby?

Hopefully with the announcement of windoze pcs to support thunderbolt from 2012 will see the release of lots of TB peripherals.