Tons of Problems. Clean Re-Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NickD, May 22, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

A lot of you may have read about the problems I've been having with my machine. They include:

Application access restriction
    Temporary file database problems
    Inability to upgrade
    Keychain password rejection multiple times a day
    Etc., etc., etc.

I was wondering if a clean reinstall of OSX would help. What do you think?

NickD

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you have booted from the CD and checked and repaired permissions and that failed to help, I would do an Archive Install. That should do it.

3. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

OK. I'll try that shortly. Any other suggestions?

4. theISHkid macrumors regular

This happened to me before... I just backed up anything I wanted on an external HD and zeroed everything out and reinstalled.

5. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I don't know if I'd be able to find everything I want to keep though, because I have so many things on my HD, so backing up and erasing might not be the best option.

6. theISHkid macrumors regular

Well I don't know what kind of setup you have... but if you can't get to everything you need to keep then you probably need to get a little better organized. That's not an insult... just what I have learned from being a designer. I have to be able to jump from one computer to the next in a moments notice if something goes down. You should be able to pull all your documents and files then reinstall all the programs and they will come right back up.

7. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

My files are very well organized, but I have so many applications/preferences/permissions that I'd worry about that.

One question: If I do an Archive Install, would all my old files, applications, and preferences remain?

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Yes, but in my experience, this can be problematic. You'll boot to your newly-archived and installed system and usually everything will be the same, except your custom preferences, file associations, etc, which can sometimes get messed up in the process. I'd say archive and install, and at last resort, do a full reinstall.

9. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Is there any other method besides Archive/Install that I can use that will be sure to save all my preferences?

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Backing up and wiping the entire disk is the only other option.