TONS OF QUESTIONS!!! (looking for free programs)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michael-appleru, May 30, 2007.

1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

1.) What is the best free program the compresses files to the extreme???

2.) Is there a free program that allows me to limit CPU and Internet usage on some programs and make programs 'primary CPU user'

i.e. Primary CPU User uses CPU other program uses leftover CPU

3.) Where is a free place that I can post my 1GB website with videos????

4.) Whats a free program that I can tell to fetch all Lryics, album art and missing album names without have to play thought all my song???

i.e. download, click 'fetch all', walk away

5.) Whats a free program that converts video to .wmv (this is the only program that can be mac or windows)

ALL SUGGESTED PROGRAMS SHOULD BE FREE, AND DON'T TELL TO SEARCH GOOGLE OR LOOK HERE.... BECAUSE I HAVE SPEND HOURS LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION!!!:mad:

:) THANKS:) :D :D :D :D :D :apple:

2. 66217 Guest

:rolleyes:

3. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

4. GoGoPills.com macrumors newbie

ADHD or insufferably demanding much?

yeah, it's called research. we've all done it/do it; it's not a do-it-once and you're done kind of thing. It's a process, just like problem-solving, thinking, pondering...

Thinking, researching, evaluating: it all takes time. Google is not the be-all and end all but it helps to use smart search terms. Actual brain cells are involved for best results.

In the spirit of wanting to but not completely kicking your ungrateful 'tude & annoying demanding @SS: you might want to check macupdate.com, macworld.com, lowendmac.com, pure-mac.com, applelinks.com and the outstanding [B]www.Mac360.com[/B] among the many other great mac sites -- including macrumors.com that make recommendations, review products, etc including many freeware/shareware products.

You're welcome.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Levels of compression totally depends on what you're trying to compress.
    2) Free? Nothing.
    3) N/A
    4) N/A
    5) There isn't one. You'll have to look for it on the Windows side. On versiontracker. It'll take you like 5 minutes.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

for that one there is somthing that you can do in Terminal, that I have seen mentioned on these forums before.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To limit CPU usage and Internet usage automagically?
    I'd be very interested to hear what it is. :)

I mean.. you can use "nice" to renice a process to give it higher CPU priority. I guess that's what you're thinking of.
    But that won't do anything for network usage. And somehow I don't think our Minnesotan Russian friend is looking at non-GUI apps. :)

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That is what I was thinking of, I missed the part about limiting internet.:eek:

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, you were partially right though. There's probably a GUIfied renicer out there.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Programs don't have to be free, someone has to put the time and care into making them, it takes a lot of effort to make software, something which it is important to be appreciative of.

I appreciate that you have found it difficult to find the software you want but if you make a less angry post and are a bit more polite with your posting then I will be happy to help you :).

12. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

3 - you will having a very hard time finding a host that wont kick you off for using the server mainly for video hosting. Just get a cheap host like 1&1 (if you are in the US/UK) or ebounthost (which i use for my website that is in my signature). If you don't want to pay, you must suffer.

4 - There is an iTunes plugin called GimmeSomeTune that automatically download album art and lyrics when you play a song in itunes.

BTW: don't ever TYPE IN CAPS LOCK

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

no offense but you seem rather aggressive for asking for help, maybe its just the way i read it :rolleyes:

14. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i felt the same

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Which is perfectly in tune with the way many people in the MR forums rant about certain other operating systems ;-) He's probably just trying to blend in with the rest of us.

To the original poster;
    As for answers to your (admittedly rather rudely stated) questions:

1.) Use gzip. It comes for free with every GNU system, and you can get it for your Mac using fink (http://fink.sf.net).

2.) Since your demands are rather vague, here are some guesses on what could help you to achieve what you want: Use the command line utility nice to restrict CPU access of a program, and use ipfw to restrict the outgoing traffic for certain ports (that are associated with the respective application).

3.) Google Video or Youtube, for example.

4.) I don't understand your question. Is it even an English sentence??

5.) Windows Movie Maker comes for free with Windows and can export WMV.

AND DON'T TELL ME THAT THE COMMAND LINE TOOLS ARE COMPLICATED TO USE, BECAUSE I KNOW THAT. DON'T COMPLAIN THAT THE ANSWERS ARE NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED, BECAUSE YOUR QUESTIONS WERE IMPOLITE AND FUZZY.

YOU'RE WELCOME :apple: :apple: :apple: :mad: :mad: :confused: :(

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its all the bold, and the caps, and the yelling, and the shouting. ;) :p

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nicely done! :)

This graphical front-end for nice management seems pretty good, albeit not free:

http://prosit-software.com/appstop.html

18. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

for a stuffer, just control- or right-click a document or folder, and select Create Archive of "[folder/doc]".

19. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I don't believe there's a free way to encode WMV from a Mac. Flip4Mac has a version which will do it, but it's far from free. You'd be better of asking on a PC forum for freeware to do this on a PC.

What a post! A remarkably overdeveloped sense of entitlement, coupled with strong expectation and abrasive delivery... you're da man, ding!

20. MackenzieArbour macrumors newbie

GimmeSomeTune is a plugi for iTunes that works for number 4 on your list