Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Really - That is the silliest idea i have ever seen . apple your failing so hard right now . your ideas are so old . Come on

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is precisely why Steve Jobs favored internal competition over feel-good collaboration. Tim Cook smugly prides himself on creating an environment of much-increased collaboration. Cook, in his typical cluelessness, fails to realize that diligent competition creates more innovation than naïve collaboration.
Wait I thought people here were saying Apple is doomed because the Bloomberg story said different versions of the MBP were being worked on and that meant there wasn't a cohesive vision. Now competition is good? And since when is collaboration is naive?

Reactions: wyarp

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Read closer. Those are not prototypes. Those are production iPhones.

The UI demos that Jobs saw in 2005 were actually done on a Mac.

The main part of my comment was this:

Apple was doing all this in secret for years. On Macs... on phone hardware... whatever.

So do we really think Apple got the "idea" and "design" from LG ? Because that's what the head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center said.

I think it's complete nonsense!

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
Nokia 3600 / 3650. Can't believe I actually ordered this.

Nokia-3650-794.jpg

This was, hands down, my favorite phone before the iPhone and I had quite a few Nokias. Besides the unique looks, it was incredibly rugged, was my first ever camera phone and held a charge including talktime measured in days. Still miss that phone sometimes.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
that's actually pretty crazy. good thing they actually rethought that whole idea on touch screens instead of digitalizing the ipod touch-wheel.

I can't agree more... using the iPod interface would have been very lame and cumbersome. One of the things I hated about BB phones was the menus and navigation was tedious. The iPhone 1 and iOS 1.0 got it right.

On a separate note, people do a lot of complaining about lame features in the iPhone over the past few years. But the way I look at it, we reached a point fairly quickly where "big features" were solved. The App Store was huge. The developers program... Huge... the introduction of the Retina display... huge... and the continued work on the A Series chips... very huge. One feature iPhone has going for it that Androids can't seem to come close to, is the overall performance of the iPhone. iOS is not a memory hog. It's smooth and fairly bug free.

So iPhone 8, or what's really the "next big thing"? Who knows... it's not Smart Light Bulbs. I don't think it's virtual reality like we know it today.... or even these voice assistants devices like the Amazon Eco... Alexa may be good, but let's face it, if Apple could give Siri a major update, and make access to Siri fluid and available on all Apple Devices (which it is except for Apple TV fully) why would you need one of these devices? Another device sitting around duplicating function.

Also, dumping the headphone jack... yeah... it's painful now, but in 1-2 years, you'll never want to go back. Just like DVD's... I hate digging them out now and rarely do. Almost everything is streamed. So, is this bad? Yeah, it hurts some. It's caught me a couple times... but I know it's not long before everything I own will connect wirelessly and the cables will be a thing of the past. By Apple being first here, they take the hit now, but in the long run, Apple and their users will be way ahead when the change to wireless runs ramped.

Anyway... looking forward to 2017 and really hoping we'll see something this year we didn't expect.

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
Dang, I actually like the name Acorn for an OS.
As older people will recall it: there was a successful computer company years ago called Acorn.
According to wikipedia it was the "British Apple".
I was choosing between this and an Atari, choose the Atari for the music software.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers

Interestingly: Sophie Wilson designed the Acorn Micro-Computer, then later designed the instruction set of the ARM processor, which became the de factomodel used in 21st-century smartphones.

Reactions: jwkay and Firelock

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Who cares what the original prototypes looked like? Show us the prototype phone that was tested last year alongside the 6ss.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Who cares what the original prototypes looked like? Show us the real updated prototype phone that was tested last year alongside the 6ss.

The original Prototypes carry a lot more history in Apple's DNA over 6s. Especially Since Fadell and Forstall were both competing makes it more interesting since there departure.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
The original Prototypes carry a lot more history in Apple's DNA over 6s. Especially Since Fadell and Forstall were both competing makes it more interesting since there departure.
That's fair but the DNA has changed and I believe where the company is headed is more important then the past phones that weren't good enough for market. Neither OS design was chosen

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
The Onion was right! I don't think I'm allowed to post external links, but google "the onion apple wheel" and enjoy!

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Interesting to see how the original iPod interface is so much more clean and clear then the cluttered ****fest the music app is nowadays...

Reactions: nextuser

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's fair but the DNA has changed and I believe where the company is headed is more important then the past phones that weren't good enough for market. Neither OS design was chosen

I defintely agree the Company has changed and different avenues have taken the company elsewhere. But true, neither Deeign was chosen. Interesting to see none the less.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Engineers at the Samsung Museum are currently doing overtime to release a similar video.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Lets hope Apple can take the iPhone to a different level soon. Think they will being their number one product now. Should imagine they invest more resources than any other.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
This is precisely why Steve Jobs favored internal competition over feel-good collaboration. Tim Cook smugly prides himself on creating an environment of much-increased collaboration. Cook, in his typical cluelessness, fails to realize that diligent competition creates more innovation than naïve collaboration.

Internal competition only works when you have a leader whom everyone respects. Steve kept everyone in line and everyone motivated. Without Steve, the internal divisions between Forstall and Ive grew worse.

I like how you call Tim "smug" and "clueless" when you don't even know the man. He's not Jobs, but no one is. I'm sure he knew he couldn't play that role, pitting teams against each other, because he's not a product guy. Does Apple need another product guy/girl CEO? I'm not sure. I'd say probably so, but I can't think of anyone in the industry I'd put in that position except maybe Elon Musk. But there's no way that's happening. The problem is that Steve just didn't know products and design, he also had an uncanny ability to see a convoluted market and provide an elegant solution.

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
He wants to create special snowflake safe zone environment. He is poisoning people and the company.
[doublepost=1484218458][/doublepost]
Tony Fadell needs a job.
He needs to get laid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.