Too afraid to ask for a refund - help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trjk434, Jan 24, 2014.

1. trjk434 macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro about 3 weeks ago from an Apple retail store, but I had a weird screen issue where it kept shutting off randomly so I requested an exchange a week after.

Ever since, there were just so many problems with the new MacBooks and I had to exchange it 3 times.

I am on my 4th Macbook, but I am not really satisfied with this one because I just had a kernel panic (where the computer randomly restarts). Also, the screen is yellowish and the wifi keeps disconnecting after a while.

I don't want to get an exchange from that retail store again, so I am thinking of ordering a brand new macbook directly from the online store.

My problem is, however, that I am really afraid to go back to that retail store to ask for a refund.. Some of the employees know me now and I feel like I'm abusing the system, when I am clearly not. But the fact that it's going to be my 4th time returning their product raises suspicion.
    I'm also afraid that they might not accept this refund..

Does anyone have any advice?

2. MaulRx Suspended

Those are some bad odds to get that many unsatisfactory computers in a row.

Bottom line is you are the customer. Make them make it right in your eyes as many times as it takes. If the computer is in the same shape and you have valid receipt they shouldn't give you any grief about refunding.

My advice: return it there and go to a different Apple store so you are getting a product from a different batch. Couldn't hurt your chances of getting a problem free MacBook.

3. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I understand that you may be frustrated, but there is no reason to be afraid. Just be polite and firm, and they will likely understand that you are not enjoying this either, and will help you out.

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Just explain that you've been having problems with every replacement you've received and want to return it so you can try ordering one from their website. I really doubt they'll care... I mean they're retail employees.

Otherwise go to a different store and exchange it there. Say that your replacements from the other Apple store have been faulty and you want to try a different store.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As long as each return was a legitimate one, don't feel guilty about it.

Just make sure some of the issues you describe are really hardware related:
    1) Yellowish compared to what? I've bought so many computers I've never noticed these things.
    2) WiFi disconnections—perhaps it's an incompatibility between your access point and the Mac? Also it could be software related.

If you keep having the same issues, are you restoring from a backup perhaps? I had a old computer that was malfunctioning, I bought a new one, only to find the same issues. Turns out the issues was all in software.

WiFi issues can sometimes be resolved by simply deleting the old profiles and resetting the network stack.

As for going to a different store; all the stores can see your previous returns and exchanges, so there really isn't a point to that. My local Apple store knows me too. Sure I return a bunch of things I don't like, but I also buy a lot of things that I never return. If I have an issue and I'm in warranty, you can be sure I'm not going to sit around feeling guilty about going to the store again! Even if it's not really an issue now (say they won't repair or exchange it), down the line when you have the issue again and it's out of warranty, they can pull up the old case when you mentioned it and they dismissed the issue.

Anyways good luck, I hope you get the computer that makes you completely satisfied.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

For starters it's your money that's paying for that computer, now secondly look at your receipt and it will tell you the return date end , or 14 day return date, as long as you are with in that date, OR you have a manager's OK to keep it longer and extend the return period , then they have to refund your money as long as the computer is in returnable condition.

I can understand where your coming from because I'm on my 2nd rMBP , the tech that checked the first one called to see how things were going.

The wifi they can only check it so far and either say it's fine or its your wifi at home, the yellowish tint , that they can see and goto the back and get another one. Even if you order online, your still getting the same computer unless your doing a BTO ?

Good luck though , and just remember its YOUR MONEY, if it's broke and its not your fault, they either give you a FULL refund or another computer.

If you do get another one, open and set it up there before you leave

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Stop worrying about what other people think of you. Return it for a refund and move on.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you are returning it for a refund because it is legitimately defective, then do not feel bad at all. This is your right as a consumer and I support you in going back to ask for a refund - even after the fourth machine.

However, if you know you are doing something bad, then you should feel bad about returning it.

This includes dropping it, ****ing it up, unrealistic expectations, or returning it over small OCDish reasons, like the people who think their laptop is just a power button for their screen's LED backlight who look at their backlight more than their screen... I can't read those threads on an empty stomach.

Being a person who is imposisible to make happy is something to feel guilty over.

9. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Damn, I feel so bad after reading your post.
    If I'm obsessed with the spacebar not being perfectly level with other keys am I also considered one of those OCD people?

10. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

Don't feel afraid to ask for a refund because of a problem that is not your fault. Go for it!

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'd have to see the spacebar in question to give an accurate opinion, but, of course, this would just be an opinion.

My point here is that, some people buy products to enjoy them. Others buy them to notice the flaws in them.

When you get to a point where you cannot enjoy the product because you see only the flaws, instead of the product, it is a problem.

Some people return a product for a legitimate flaw, get a working product, and are done with it.

Some people almost turn it into a game to buy a product only to photograph it with a 20 megapixel camera, blow up images, and find faults just for the hell of it. They will never be happy.

There is a clear difference between these two scenarios. In my opinion, the OP has nothing to feel guilty about if the product has legitimate defects.

I have met people who love their computer, but then see that jonnyguru did a review of their power supply where they see it has 40 mV of ripple on the 12v rail on the hotbox test. These people literally stop enjoying an otherwise beautiful machine because something they read on the internet makes them more judgmental of an otherwise lovely, functional device. That's bad.

I look and I see threads where people discuss LG vs. Samsung panels. I see people returning LG retinas even when they admit, fully, that they see zero issue with the product, just because... I can't read those threads on an empty stomach.

I would never put up with a defective product, nor would I suggest anyone else put up with a defective product. Return, return, return, even if the manufacturer makes it miserable. At the same time, I would never expect a consumer product to live up to NASA standards either. This is obviously a very subjective field to discuss.

12. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Yeah I definitely agree with you man.
    Now that I think back I was more interested in looking for flaws than actually enjoying the product :eek:

13. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

If you've constantly been getting repairs on your macbook, then you shouldn't be afraid to ask for a refund if you're not satisfied with your product. Just make sure you're firm and polite and tell them that you've been in numerous times to get your macbook repaired but it's just not working for you. Nothing to be afraid of :)