Too anyone who installed Leopard with Alu iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tragedies, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Did it go well? Was there freezing? Any tips to avoid problems when installing? (I'm doing Archive and Install).

2. Island Roots macrumors regular

No freezing here, did an Archive & Install on my 20" aluminum iMac. Performance/stability has been superb so far.

3. naftalim macrumors 6502

Smooth as silk, I did an Archive and Install. No problems whatsoever. I just had to download an updated Driver for my Brother Printer and that was it.

Be aware. that in the beginning of the Install, it displays a long time for the Install, but mine took about 30 minutes (another 10 minutes to verify the Install Disc for Consistency, a step you can skip)

Also, when it gets to 1 minute remaining, that minute is quite long, so be patient.

My iMac is about 1.5 months old

4. imacan macrumors regular

No problem here with "Upgrade". The only thing that is not working properly is repairing permissions with Disk Utility, a known problem.

5. Yuppi macrumors regular

Yuppi

There certainly are people that have troubles. Especially those where the 1.1 caused freezing are expected to have problems with leopard.
    If your iMac worked fine with 1.1 you're fine with leopard. On the other hand, my leopard works smoothly after resetting the PRAM after I installed leopard. (I had freezes in 1.1 and rolled back to 1.0 which worked fine. I had freezes immediately after the installation of leopard.)

6. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Mine went through a dream... All working fine.

7. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

great

just bought a 24in. 2.4Ghz imac to go along with my leopard and everything has been so smooth and fast, safari is incredibly fast, the entire os blew my mind, i might not even have to upgrade from 1gb RAM, haha, but i will

8. srichart1 macrumors member

srichart1

24" Imac Alum 2.8 Xtreme

Installed Leopard yesterday and it's freezing every few minutes.
    Hurry up Apple!

9. Gerg macrumors regular

Got my 24" Aluminum iMac in early September, never experienced any lock-ups like I see described here. Upgraded to Leopard last night, no problems at all (just did a regular upgrade, no archive, etc.).

As someone else mentioned, at first it indicated it would take 1 hour and 37 minutes to install, but in the end it only took about 40 minutes.

I guess the only thing that seems a bit different is that my external hard drive seems to be waking up on its own for no apparent reason. I didn't install/configure Time Machine, so that's not it, but it never used to spin up unless I tried to access files on it, but last night (and this morning) it did.

10. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Don't use DivX Player with 10.5!

It froze the computer and the speakers absolutely screamed. I've never heard such a loud noise - it was deafening.

I had to rush to pull the plug out from the wall before my ears exploded.

11. otto-matic macrumors newbie

I'm Having the same problems I did with 1.1 after installing Leopard.

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but I can't seem to get a consensus on wtf Apple's solution to this is going to be. Phone techs are worthless and the "geniuses" well, they're not.

Does anyone have any solid evidence that apple is really addressing this?

12. Jordashebasics macrumors newbie

No problems at all. Install also took about a half hour.

I haven't run into any bugs at all, but I'm not a wild user.

13. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

14. eianto macrumors newbie

Runs great

Archive and Install on my Alu 24' 4BG RAM! Everything works perfectly

15. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Don't use DivX at all. Just install Perian.

16. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Brand new 20" iMac, bought on Saturday. Popped the CD in and performed an "Upgrade" (figured the upgrade option is probably safe and well-tested on a clean installation of Tiger... it's when you already have stuff installed it gets dodgy). No problems whatsoever!

No freezing or anything in the few days I've had it. *touch wood*.

Boot Camp was a breeze too, and I've now experienced the utter sacrilege of booting Windows XP on the thing. (Seeing DOS - or at least the DOS-like portion of XP's installation - displayed on a big glossy 20" screen made me giggle). I wasn't in it for long :D

Oh, it still had the terrible default colour profile. Calibration is a must, so that the characteristics of the 20" LCD aren't magnified to the point where it looks faulty and unusable.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Did an Upgrade Install on my 20" and all going smoothly so far. The first boot after the upgrade took a while, long enough for me to wonder whether I had the blue screen issue, but I left it a few minutes just to see if it recovered and it did. Subsequent boots have been fine.

BTW, anyone else notice how much brighter the iSight's picture is now?

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

VLC Player works great.
    videolan.org

19. jonswan macrumors regular

On my 2.0 ALU I got the blue screen after upgrading, so I left it overnight then did archive and install which went nicely.

Briefly my mail app went nuts and l lost all my messages, but they came back after 10 mins. My backgrounds in photobooth don't work but all else is lookin good. Just doing TIme machine for the first time...

20. SteadyHand macrumors newbie

Two week old iMac

I have only installed MS Office 2004
    What would you recommend:

Upgrade or Archive and Install?

Thank you in advance for your patience.

21. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

22. SteadyHand macrumors newbie

Upgrading tonight!

Thanks! I will do it tonight.

23. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I did an Erase and Install and then restored things with Backup. Everything is running without any problems yet. The hardware seems to like it. :)

24. Mazda 3 macrumors newbie

I did an erase and install on my new 20" iMac yesterday and it was a breeze to do.

Leopard looks great to me so far.

Has anyone tried Onyx with Leopard yet? Haven`t seen Onyx mentioned yet in any Leopard discussion.

25. Hibbsy macrumors member

Did an Erase and Install and everything went fine restored from backup.

Seems faster than Tiger especially Safari and finder.

Had a funny 10 mins today when I couldn't connect to some web sites, rebooted twice and it seemed to clear. Maybe just a glitch but seemed to be something not quite right with DHCP after ISP router rebooted.

I heard some reports of macbook pros having similar issues ... sounds like a code issue when renewing your IP address.

Aside from that all is well, gets better the more you use it starting to really like the added features.