Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I hearing from factory Iskin company have problem. They orders very down and they having problem paying factory. Also I seeing no factory copying Iskin case because their cases no selling. I hope they making money with iphone 5. I see they trying Samsung but maybe too late because they customers are Apple not Samsung.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Ok, there are few things here I want to address:

1. How do you know of such problems? Do you have an article link? Any source at all to sustain your claim?
  2. Please use more comprehensible sentences. Your current syntax is abysmal to say the least and it is hard to understand what it is you are trying to say.
  3. What's with the whole Samsung and Apple thing... barely understood that.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
coming from Chinese factory. Also you knowing who is making money when you looking in markets and seeing who being copied. Chinese copying because brands selling high price and copy costing less $1USD to making. This meaning they can make BIG profit but only if case is selling. No Iskin in market because Chinese not investing in thing they can no selling. They do not have foreigners asking for Iskin cases at low price. This the way market goes. You can seeing Incase Ottrbox and few others but not like last year. One day I telling you who hot selling in China wholselling market.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Meh. This isn't solid evidence that iSkin is going under. As costs to manufacture in China increase, we're seeing manufacturing move either inland or to other South East Asian countries such as Vietnam and the Philippines. Adidas, for example, is closing one of their factories in China due to rising manufacturing and labor costs there and will most likely move more factories to Burma, Thailand, etc.

Not really a big deal, but I really don't know much about iSkin's financial situation. However, as Adidas and other fashion or technology companies move their factories elsewhere, I'm slightly more concerned about how it would affect the economies of some Chinese provinces.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
they saying if iphone 5 not have big change maybe many companies going to losing. China factorys worrying their big customer no big orders and no paying. Many fooled to make and send cases and get money later. Foreigners very smart making Chinese factor taking all risk.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009

1. How do you know of such problems? Do you have an article link? Any source at all to sustain your claim?
  2. Please use more comprehensible sentences. Your current syntax is abysmal to say the least and it is hard to understand what it is you are trying to say.

It's not that bad man, relax.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010

Again, not all the people on this board are native English speakers. The internet is not a US only place. Most countries citizens speak more than one language. Yeah they might not write so well in their second language but man give the folks some credit.

So, an we cut down on the language police stuff?

It's funny, but I find that most people pulling the language police routine can only speak one language.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Again, not all the people on this board are native English speakers. The internet is not a US only place. Most countries citizens speak more than one language. Yeah they might not write so well in their second language but man give the folks some credit.

So, an we cut down on the language police stuff?

It's funny, but I find that most people pulling the language police routine can only speak one language.

I feel free to call it out because of two reasons:

1. Not a native English speaker, in fact my native language is Spanish

2. Not from the US, live in it, but wasn't born or raised in it.

So the whole non-English native point falls on a moot point with me.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010

So then of all people. I think you'd cut the person some slack. Everyone isn't perfect from the start. You don't know where the person is in the learning process. But insulting them surely helps them I'm sure.

The OP is apparently from Hong Kong. I speak English, Spanish, and a little German & French. I write in English and Spanish and I can't in the others. I tried Chinese and failed miserably. So if I can fail in their language surely they can fail in mine without me insulting them.

What does insulting the poster do? What's positive in that?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
So then of all people. I think you'd cut the person some slack. Everyone isn't perfect from the start. You don't know where the person is in the learning process. But insulting them surely helps them I'm sure.

The OP is apparently from Hong Kong. I speak English, Spanish, and a little German & French. I write in English and Spanish and I can't in the others. I tried Chinese and failed miserably. So if I can fail in their language surely they can fail in mine without me insulting them.

What does insulting the poster do? What's positive in that?

1. I don't care what you speak as long as I understand you.
2. I didn't insult, just asked for clarity in the post and future posts.

3. Never was I cut slack and I don't cut slack for anyone.

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
So the evidence is that there are no counterfeit iSkin cases being made in china, and because of that, the company is in trouble.

http://blog.myiskin.com

Here's their blog. They just had one of their cases featured in Vogue Brazil, among other things..

So we'll just have to see. Plus, isn't the great thing about their products the materials? Which I would assume are probably difficult to copy... so who would want a knock off iSkin anyway?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

1. I don't care what you speak as long as I understand you.
2. I didn't insult, just asked for clarity in the post and future posts.

3. Never was I cut slack and I don't cut slack for anyone.

1. The Chinese invented the abacus
2. Which would be very handy for all that counting you do in your posts
3. Relax ( i'm joking )

:)

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Sorry I knows I not so good speaking english. I just trying giving infomations on what factories and people in this business saying. Maybe can helping you. Like factories not so happy about new iphone because there so many designs and they losing lots of moneys on last iphone 5. Some dealers buying just to saying they have iphone 5. They getting some free promo and if right they making some moneys. They not gambling too much moneys but factory taking big risk because they may having to refund moneys.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
$50 for a silicone case that costs $1 to make. People don't have that kind of money to waste with such a vast selection of other great brands and cases out there for less. I like iSkin, but their prices are ridiculous. Back in 2007 I would understand and even purchased a few of their Revo cases, but now?

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
2 months ago i bought one case from iSkin official website, after i received the case i found that case is similar with jissoncase or vajacases but expensive than them more 10$.

This problem with many brands. They having so good for so long and they not wanting let go. In China I seeing many important stores making their own brand. They buying from same factory as USA brand but paying so much less moneys than they pay for brand and getting same products but having more profit. They giving customer better deal and making very big profit. Long time ago brands thinking they number 1 but really store number one. They not stupid they knowing cost and they changing way doing business. They are most important because they invests many money to make store but USA product brands having very small invest and making most money. Those days soon over.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I've never liked iSkin cases even from the iPod days. Silicon is a horrible material.

TPU also having big problems. It going yellow after a few months. If you having color TPU you not noticing too much but the color not so brights as day they making it. I don't knowing why they no trying make new ideas it is same thing over and over nothings new. Maybes that is why they having so problem selling. Whe I seeing copies with Iskin then I knowing people loving them.

elementskins

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Metro Vancouver, Canada
As a company that manufactures skin kits for devices like the iPhone, I can see how case companies might have had a rough ride the last year or so. The market has changed, and the flood of cheap cases from China have had a big effect. It also hasn't helped that the iPhone and iPad haven't changed externally in 2 generations. For instance, when iPad 2 launched, we were overrun with orders, but with the launch of iPad 3 this year, we didn't see the peak in sales. Same with the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I, for one, am looking very forward to a new design and the possibility of an iPad mini next month.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
As a company that manufactures skin kits for devices like the iPhone, I can see how case companies might have had a rough ride the last year or so. The market has changed, and the flood of cheap cases from China have had a big effect. It also hasn't helped that the iPhone and iPad haven't changed externally in 2 generations. For instance, when iPad 2 launched, we were overrun with orders, but with the launch of iPad 3 this year, we didn't see the peak in sales. Same with the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I, for one, am looking very forward to a new design and the possibility of an iPad mini next month.

Long time agos Chinese no knowing what IPhone but now thank you to Internet they knowing everything's and most important t he price and now they like army ants eating all business. Many factories compet with each others on the same case like Incase otter box. They very smart. Some molds take foreigner 4 weeks they make in 10 days but for the themself then selling to same customers for so little moneys. Dog eat dog and this why some companys in big trouble. They losing the business they needing not die. But now even Chinese lose because IPhone no changing and noting hot in market.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Just hearing their product removing from major Apple stores in China. This going to lose more moneys for Iskin. The Apple stores making theirs own product and now making very big profit. this could happening to more companies. Now everyone's know which factories can making good products why paying companies like Iskn too much money

ttttttboy66

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
agreed

So the evidence is that there are no counterfeit iSkin cases being made in china, and because of that, the company is in trouble.

http://blog.myiskin.com

Here's their blog. They just had one of their cases featured in Vogue Brazil, among other things..

So we'll just have to see. Plus, isn't the great thing about their products the materials? Which I would assume are probably difficult to copy... so who would want a knock off iSkin anyway?

I dont think they have to worry. They have some of the best cases and are very popular. As far as screen protectors I feel is a big issue because everyone is cracking their screens. What do you think is the best one out there?

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I dont think they have to worry. They have some of the best cases and are very popular. As far as screen protectors I feel is a big issue because everyone is cracking their screens. What do you think is the best one out there?

The problem is many Chinese company makings great cases bu t selling them for $1 to 2 dollars and they very very happy because it big profit. This getting bigger problem for foreign brands because every ones so smart because of socials network. It is Arib Spring for company's because no can fooling public no more. Maybe they making new wonderful design then having chance but so fars the doing same old thing over and over again.

elementskins

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Metro Vancouver, Canada
The problem is many Chinese company makings great cases bu t selling them for $1 to 2 dollars and they very very happy because it big profit. This getting bigger problem for foreign brands because every ones so smart because of socials network. It is Arib Spring for company's because no can fooling public no more. Maybe they making new wonderful design then having chance but so fars the doing same old thing over and over again.

It's a pretty bold statement to say that they are making "great cases..." for $1 to $2. Great cases are a rare thing, and few brands make them. Sure, some are probably OEM'd in China to cut costs, but they are designed and spec'd elsewhere. I also wouldn't say that anyone is making big profit selling cases at $1 to $2, by North American or European standards anyways. Big profit is a relative term. What do you consider big? In China, where the average wage may be $300 a month or less, making $100,000 a year would seem big I would imagine. Here in North America, not so much.

Companies aren't attempting to fool customers by selling their cases at the cost that they do. The selling price takes in many factors such as market conditions, cost of manufacturing, development, marketing, warranty, wages, taxes, transport, operating costs, etc, etc. If they farm out manufacturing, that adds additional costs for quality control, transport, carrying costs, loss/damage, etc.

Personally, I am proud of the fact that we design and manufacture everything we sell right here in Vancouver, Canada. I'm a small manufacturer, granted, but I value the fact that I can make a great product here in North America and keep costs and selling prices competitive to those from overseas. I control the quality of the product from design to production, and sell on the fact that our products are made in Canada.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
It's a pretty bold statement to say that they are making "great cases..." for $1 to $2. Great cases are a rare thing, and few brands make them. Sure, some are probably OEM'd in China to cut costs, but they are designed and spec'd elsewhere. I also wouldn't say that anyone is making big profit selling cases at $1 to $2, by North American or European standards anyways. Big profit is a relative term. What do you consider big? In China, where the average wage may be $300 a month or less, making $100,000 a year would seem big I would imagine. Here in North America, not so much.

Companies aren't attempting to fool customers by selling their cases at the cost that they do. The selling price takes in many factors such as market conditions, cost of manufacturing, development, marketing, warranty, wages, taxes, transport, operating costs, etc, etc. If they farm out manufacturing, that adds additional costs for quality control, transport, carrying costs, loss/damage, etc.

Personally, I am proud of the fact that we design and manufacture everything we sell right here in Vancouver, Canada. I'm a small manufacturer, granted, but I value the fact that I can make a great product here in North America and keep costs and selling prices competitive to those from overseas. I control the quality of the product from design to production, and sell on the fact that our products are made in Canada.

I know hard to accept what is happening but Chinese now knowing how find same customers you have. Your customers wanting to buy from them because they knowing they the factory. Chinese selling them for more monys than you paying them. So simple to understanding why it going be harder and harder for you keeping you customers. You customers now coming to China to meet and buying from factorys you making you product with. I see too many foreigners here now not like 6 years before. You can no win unless you creating new products but then you only having a few weeks to making you money because many factory's will having you pro duct and make same or better for so much less moneys. These factories and agents driving Benzs and BMWS because they making so much moneys and they happy you helping them by selling you product so high. When you buying from them you always asking they give you low price you no caring they sharing profit and help them. You want you customer give you high price and making as much moneys you can making. The Chinese now very strong they have lots money and very smart to learn how finding you customer. You good days are gone

ttttttboy66

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Quality over value

I think all apple users prefer the quality of products over the value. For example all of us are buying expensive laptops, computers, and phones because we know how the quality is with Apple. And with this vendor elementskins his products may be of better quality than the Chinese. That is what we as apple users are looking for to protect our valuable devices. Also with the screen protection I didn't get some cheap one, I looked for the best and found it. Xoskins has the best screen protectors out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.