Too bad. The lightning base EarPod does not offer carrying case anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LovingTeddy, Sep 14, 2016.

1. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

Went out brought the Apple lightning earpod. The package is lots smaller than the one with 3.5mm jack.

I always liked Apple offers a carrying case with the earpod. But with lightning EarPods, it is no longer the case. It is packaged more like one included with iPod Touch. No more carrying case.

Same price, lesser stuff. Gonna get that margine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound quality wise. It is pretty much similar with 3.5mm. There is no dramatic improvement than 3.5mm headphone. With lightning base headphone, sound is little bit louder and base is little bit full.

One interesting thing is: if you insert 3.5mm headphone while lightning based haedphone is plugged in, 3.5mm headphone override lightning headphone. Music will go to 3.5mm instead of lightning headphone.

Did a little length comparison, the lightning EarPods is little bit longer than 3.5mm

2. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

I can never fit the EarPods back into its case. So I always throw it away.

3. LovingTeddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

I carrying my in my backpack everyday, so I can use it when I am in gym. I take it out and put back to the case everyday.

Once you done several times, you will know how to put back

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

But we don't that's how they will be packed when included in the iPhone 7 box. The Lightning EarPods your displaying are a separate purchase.

5. d0hv macrumors regular

d0hv

On unboxing videos, they're packaged the same way.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah the in boxing videos show the same cardboard enclosure.

7. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

Can you still pack it in old case? I always wrap mine it in and still have it

8. LovingTeddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

Good idea. I will try after my work. I will report back to you later.

9. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

Thanks lad. Because 3.5 jack just wrapped around and didn't actually had an cut out to sit on. So I would assume it would work fine but please report back.

10. LovingTeddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

Does not fit properly. The lightning connector is too big to fit in the case. No matter what I do, I cannot close the case. The lightning connector is too wide to fit in.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    Base on the iPhone 7 unboxing by MKBHD, the lightning earpod bundled with iPhone 7 comes with paper wrappers. No more carrying case.

11. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

agh darn it lad. thanks

12. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

From an environmental perspective, I'm guessing the vast majority of iPhone owners just bin the carry case. It is frustrating that the Lightning EarPods don't fit in the old case!

13. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

14. DCDMacBoy macrumors newbie

DCDMacBoy

Relatively simple to modify the case with a utility knife and it fits just fine.

I use them infrequently, so keeping them in a case in my briefcase is nice since they are always ready to go when I need 'em but the cords don't tangle up in stuff during the 99% of the time they are just sitting there.

[​IMG]

15. unknownx macrumors regular

My previous cases have been in my iPhone box since i took my phone out.. So i don't care :)

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Ya... I'm bummed that there is no case. I always kept the ones I carried in my purse, in the case. I used them infrequently but want them in my purse in case I do want them. We tried to put the lightning pods in the case and it doesn't work... Hubby's probably going to try to adapt one for me... Or I'll go to Kate Spade or Coach and see if I can find something that will work instead. For now I just have them in a little pouch that I got at the jewelry store one time when I got a ring back from repair... it works nicely... for now...

17. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

So use the current one? Nothing has changed but the bottom plug.

18. chcn macrumors newbie

Or try using it like this:

New EarPods in old case.jpg

(Not my idea, and I haven't tested it yet myself. Credit: http://i.imgur.com/vaYw2Ci.jpg.)

19. nickosbad macrumors regular

Attached Files:

20. chcn macrumors newbie

Huh. I wasn't able to get it to fit that way, but now I'm inspired to try again. But I also like that idea of the Lightning connector/DAC sitting on top as I depicted above. I was kicking myself for nothing thinking outside the box.

21. Davisk123 macrumors newbie

Davisk123

Everyone, if you pry out the inner form of the old EarPods case, then the new ones will fit. Not ideal, but the best way to make the old case work

22. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Sorry, but this looks horrendous!

Anyone knows of any good aftermarket earbud cases, which would hold Apple Lightening buds?

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Least missed Apple feature. That case was trash.

24. Davisk123 macrumors newbie

Davisk123

I finally got my hands on some new earbuds. I tried the old case and got it to work, its tight but they close and stay closed on their own.

Attached Files: