Too big screenshots on iMac 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johnnyXcrane, Apr 1, 2015.

1. johnnyXcrane macrumors newbie

When I make a screenshot, the screenshot is way bigger than I see it in real.
    Is there a way to do normal screenshots?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The screenshot is taken at the same resolution as your iMac display and therefore retains the sharpness of HiDPI on Retina displays. If you want your screenshots to be at a non-HiDPI resolution, either scale it to 50% and export through Preview or change your resolution by going to System Preferences > Displays, Option-clicking on "Scaled" checking "Show low resolution modes" and changing to "2560 x 1440 (low resolution)" before you take the screenshots.

3. johnnyXcrane thread starter macrumors newbie

If it retains the sharpness then why the screenshot looks **** on my iMac?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Because your other iMac has a lower resolution. Images that aren't displayed at their native resolutions (normally) will look like crap, even if it's higher than the native resolution.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I don't think he has another iMac, its just that Preview shows screenshots 4x the regular size..

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Actually with OS X Retina screenshots Preview tends to show the proper 1:1 size on Retina displays. I do wish it would do this with every image like it did in Mountain Lion.

7. johnnyXcrane thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I am looking at the image of the same iMac 5K.

----------

No it looks wrong in Preview and in Safari too

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How are you taking the screenshots? Is it Command-Shift-3/Command-Shift-4 or Grab.app?

----------

If it's not displaying Retina-aware in Preview already you can always try this trick: zoom out twice, three times if it sticks to the window size like in Zoom to Fit.

9. johnnyXcrane thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah with Command-Shift 3 he makes it correct.
    I often do it with Command-Shift 4 because I want an specific small area. There it's buggy :(

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

If you're not looking at it at a 1:1 ratio (as in pressing CMD-0 when opened in preview), it'll still look blurred.

Safari draws images at a non-retina resolution, which means it's twice as big as you intended.