Too cold to wear?

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Apple states that the ideal temperature is between 32-95 degrees. I ride a motorcycle and find myself outside of the temp range often, is this exposing my watch to damage?

I guess this also means no steam room with it on also?

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I ride also. With gloves and the watch next to your skin I'd bet the watch internal temp is higher than you think. Of course if you ride in freezing temps with no gloves maybe there's an issue? I've never had an issue with any watch. I have 52 watches--G-shocks, other Casios, Seikos, Citizens, some micro-brands. Many have stated operating temps and I expose them to lower and higher here in Texas.

As for a steam room....I would not expose a smart watch to that, but I have worn certain Casios in hot showers and hot tubs off and on for years with no issues.

K Anderson

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
I was wondering the same thing. I don't have a motorcycle but I do end up standing out in the cold for periods of time at work on occasion. It would probably be covered with sleeves most of the time but I wondered if the cold would have an adverse affect on the watch.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I ride also. With gloves and the watch next to your skin I'd bet the watch internal temp is higher than you think. Of course if you ride in freezing temps with no gloves maybe there's an issue? I've never had an issue with any watch. I have 52 watches--G-shocks, other Casios, Seikos, Citizens, some micro-brands. Many have stated operating temps and I expose them to lower and higher here in Texas.

As for a steam room....I would not expose a smart watch to that, but I have worn certain Casios in hot showers and hot tubs off and on for years with no issues.

Thanks, I bet you are right. I have decent winter riding gloves and it’s sometimes between the glove and jacket sleeve. Riding with the AW3 LTE is pretty awesome, makes life so much easier.

I’m worn my watches in the steam room, but haven’t even showered with my AW3 on. It’s a minor inconvenience to take it off obviously, I was just more curious.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’m worn my watches in the steam room, but haven’t even showered with my AW3 on. It’s a minor inconvenience to take it off obviously, I was just more curious.
Showering with the Apple Watch series 3 is one thing, because it's rated at 50 m water resistant.

Although I would caution you to not use your Apple Watch in a steam room, because steam can penetrate past the water resistant seals and could cause damage to the watch internally. There have been plenty of members who have experienced this before, and the end result was the Watch failed. OLED is also very sensitive to water/moisture.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I was wondering the same thing. I don't have a motorcycle but I do end up standing out in the cold for periods of time at work on occasion. It would probably be covered with sleeves most of the time but I wondered if the cold would have an adverse affect on the watch.
As long as your AW is directly against your skin it should maintain a suitable temp to work just fine.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I’ve been wondering about the opposite.. max 95 degrees really? Living in the desert we should be so lucky. I don’t work outside or spend extended hours out but when our summer temps are always over 110, even 110’s.. do I need to worry as long as my body temp isn’t too too high?

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
As long as your AW is directly against your skin it should maintain a suitable temp to work just fine.
It technically says ambient temperature, and I would think they would take into account the watch being worn, but who knows... I've never had a temp issue with my watch in colder or hotter temps. My iPhone on the other hand...

I’ve been wondering about the opposite.. max 95 degrees really? Living in the desert we should be so lucky. I don’t work outside or spend extended hours out but when our summer temps are always over 110, even 110’s.. do I need to worry as long as my body temp isn’t too too high?
Over the years of using iPhones, I have gotten the high temperature warning several times. What is especially irksome is that I can get it without the air temp being over 95 °F or the phone being in direct sunlight. Just the other day, I was taking some pics outside and had the little warning triangle, where the flash option is, saying the flash can't be used until the phone cools down. I think it was maybe 70° outside, and I hadn't been using the phone to cause it to get hot.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It technically says ambient temperature, and I would think they would take into account the watch being worn, but who knows... I've never had a temp issue with my watch in colder or hotter temps. My iPhone on the other hand...

Over the years of using iPhones, I have gotten the high temperature warning several times. What is especially irksome is that I can get it without the air temp being over 95 °F or the phone being in direct sunlight. Just the other day, I was taking some pics outside and had the little warning triangle, where the flash option is, saying the flash can't be used until the phone cools down. I think it was maybe 70° outside, and I hadn't been using the phone to cause it to get hot.
I would say your aw should be able to withstand anything you can without worry as long as you are wearing it. Leave your watch or phone out by itself to get cold soaked to below freezing and it will be dead until it warms up again.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I skied last winter at -20 F and that was before the wind chill, and the watch at least was fine. So my guess is that anything you can stand the watch can handle; at cold temps the watch will be covered under a jacket or mittens or both. I have had the iPhone shut down several times based on cold, but it is in chest pocket and so not as protected.

Reactions: TylerDurden130

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
I’ve run several times under 32 degrees and haven’t had any issues with the Watch. As long as we rd touching your skin and covered with a shirt, glove, etc, it should be fine

Reactions: TylerDurden130

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I wear my watch year round and it has been 115 degrees where I live during the summers. It hasn't had an issue. This weekend though, I was recording some of my kids' soccer games and my phone gave the excessive heat warning from the heat of the sun...as did our mirrorless camera.

Reactions: Laryl

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I wear my watch year round and it has been 115 degrees where I live during the summers. It hasn't had an issue. This weekend though, I was recording some of my kids' soccer games and my phone gave the excessive heat warning from the heat of the sun...as did our mirrorless camera.
Thanks it helps to read actual users experiences.