too early to ask about the next release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Travis Bickle, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Travis Bickle macrumors member

Feb 11, 2011
    Been wanting to get an imac but because of a cash flow problem i've not been able to treat myself yet. However, i'm in a better place now and have the readies to help Mr. Jobs along in his retirement so am thinking of the high spec 21.5" imac.

I know the imacs were updated a short while back and the buyers guide suggests they're mid cycle but i wondered if any of you guys on here would like to hazzard a guess as to when the next update will be and what that update will entail?

cheers all.
  2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Yes it's too early...only been a few months since the last refresh. Won't see anything new shipping until late Q1 2012 at the EARLIEST but more likely Q2 2012.

Out the door to pick up a 27" i7 iMac myself right now :)
  3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Intel's next chipset is Ivy Bridge, and they don't see it showing up in consumer systems until early 2012.
  4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2011
    I just really hope they come up with a better solution for the glass panel. Dust getting behind the screen is a horrible design oversight in an otherwise aesthetically pleasing package.
  5. Icaras macrumors 603

Mar 18, 2008
    California, United States
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoa, deja vu post :D
  6. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2008
    I wouldn't say it is too early.

A month ago I was prepared to buy a new iMac, however I decided to wait until I am in a little bit better financial situation in January. I put $1900 in savings to go towards the top 27", and whatever I can add to that will go towards upgrades.

I don't expect a new iMac to be out at that point, but it will be close enough to wait. I am hoping for SATA3 speed SSDs, Ivy Bridge, and (pipe dream) USB3. I don't care so much about a redesign as I think they are quite nice looking now, not to mention I am not really sure what they would do.
  7. bobob macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2008
    Re: too early to ask about the next release?

That's what she said.
  8. henry72 macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2009
    New Zealand
    I waiting for a redesigned new iMac here (Thinner, ACD design with White colour option? :rolleyes: and no disc drive) :)
    I guess is not too early because it is half way through already :D

If you have a look at the "Buyer's Guide", in March 2009 they updated the old iMac hardware, then in October 2009 they released a new redesigned iMac :D

So... I might be wrong, just guessing :)