Too early?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Afbar1114, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Went to go up date my app saw that it said iOS 8 update already. Too early?

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It’s cool as long as they aren’t using at of the new iOS 8 API calls, etc. Of course, that assumes that Apple has not put the word out to devs to get their apps ready for iOS 8 launch. I haven’t seen that announcement, but it should be close. Typically it’s about a week ahead of the general release of iOS 8.

I did a quick check of my recently updated apps and I haven’t seen any similar comment.

3. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I saw another app in the past week (I forgot which one) that said it was updated for iOS 8. I remember in years past there were usually a few apps that would say they were updated for the upcoming release of iOS a week or so before that particular version of iOS was released.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think being proactive is a good thing, especially with an investment company.

5. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

They could have the iOS API calls in there as long as the app detects what iOS version it's running on and adjust which calls it's using based on that.

Still, I imagine this was mistakenly let out onto the store a little early.

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well would that be on TD or Apple?

7. kolax macrumors G3

I'd leave it out until iOS 8 is officially released. Then you can update your app and say 'support for iOS 8'.

If this is software for clients, then if they have half a brain they won't be updating to iOS 8 right away anyway.

8. iDeviceChecker macrumors newbie

I would state "Now supports iOS 8" to indicate that this version "supports" iOS 8 instead of telling the audience that this app is made for iOS 8..

9. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Several apps have been updated with iOS 8 compatibility...in most cases, I'm betting they're basic stability and compatibility things rather than furtive addition of new features that will be iOS 8 dependent.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

I don't think they can. In order to build with iOS 8 specific API calls they would need to upload with Xcode 6 and I don't believe that you can publish with Xcode 6. When you go to publish to the app store it checks the build number of Xcode and it must be a publicly released version (at least that is what I remember from previous beta builds of Xcode).

11. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Not easily, because the App Store won't accept apps built with the iOS 8 SDK yet.

The app was most likely tested with iOS 8, fixes made for any issues that cropped up, and rebuilt with the iOS 7 SDK / Xcode 5.1.

12. Dan70 macrumors regular

This.

In the developer centre it states that you can start building and updating apps for iOS 8 but they won't accept any iOS8 apps for review just yet.

So it's obviously just an update that allows the app to run smoothly without issues on the new version. Not an actual iOS8 version of the app.

13. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Just because you publish with Xcode 6, doesn't mean you can't build for previous versions.

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Unlike it is built using the iOS 8 SDK. I've seen a lot of apps previously that said 'Updated for iOS 7' but still had the old iOS 6 keyboard. Most likely just bug fixes for version compatibility.

15. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Yes, but what I am saying is that Xcode 6 will not allow you to publish to the app store. You have to do so from Xcode 5

16. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I didn't read your post that way though. :)

17. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a