Too frequent updates since Steve is no longer with us? :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fruitninja, Jun 30, 2014.

1. fruitninja macrumors regular

fruitninja

[​IMG]

I am not on a Mac yet, I am at pre-switch.

But I have this concern (read on a blog), previously there has been rare security updates with the Mac, and nowadays almost daily (that is even more often than Windows). What is the cause? Maybe as the platform has became more popular, more malware is written to it?

Or, something else, namely: poor quality control?

2. Traverse, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

No, not nearly as often as Windows.

On my Windows 7 and 8.1 system I have updates nearly every time I boot up, on a Mac you have one every few weeks/months.

10.#.x updates only come once every month or two on an as needed basis. They are more common at the beginning of an OS X version's lifecycle.

Minor updates are more rare unless they fix a security hole or serious bug or improve performance of apps like Safari.

Would you rather they update it ever six months and you live with the bugs? Not being snarky, but I don't see the big deal an update makes. Surly one every few weeks can't be THAT big of a deal.

----------------------------
    Side note: I am discussing OS X and Apple app updates. If you have third party apps they update as the developer sees fit, it has nothing to do with Apple. So if you install 30-40 programs from various sources I suppose you could have daily updates, but I don't see that as likely.

3. Traverse, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh, and in System Preference you have a separate option to have minor security and data updates install automatically and never bother you.

You can also set all Mac App Store apps to update without your intervention if you wish.

And read the #2 post from GGJStudios about malware here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1364120

And his Malware Guide here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ

There are no Mac viruses, only a handful of trojans. Many times, Apple's security updates are closing holes the could be exploited, not that are current massive issues.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

What are you talking about? Daily? When I updated my Mac yesterday to 10.9.4, there was only one update done in the last 30 days, and that was my 1Password client.

5. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

Thanks for the update. I really don't know about this situation, just rear about it on this blog I follow. He is obviously not an expert, but a user.