Too good to be true Macbook Pro deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RawisJericho, Sep 4, 2007.

1. RawisJericho macrumors newbie

I saw a person selling a Macbook Pro for $1000. Here is the info on it.

4 Months old, 32 Months of Apple Care warranty left
    17 Inch MacBook Pro
    2.16 GHz
    2GB Ram
    120 GB 5400 RPM hard drive
    256MB ATI Radeon X1600 Graphics Card
    AppleCare 3 Year protection from Apple Till May 2009
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Double Layer SuperDrive

Does this deal seem to good to be true? This person posted this for sale early Tuesday morning. I sent them an email around 10:00 at night to see if it is still available. I highly doubt it is. I hope so though since I really need a laptop for school.

If I did buy this, what would I need to do to transfer the warranty over to my name?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Remember the advertisement mantra:
    If it sounds too good to be true...

Ask yourself this: if you had a 4 month-old laptop that you paid $3,000 for, would you sell it for $1,000?

Didn't think so.

3. RawisJericho thread starter macrumors newbie

No way I would sell it for that cheap...

I also found this Macbook for $1200.

Like new Apple 15" Macbook Pro
    1.83ghz
    120gbhd
    2 gigs of ram

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, of course it's not legit at that price.

Plus: If the seller is advertising on your local Craigslist and they are "out of town" or "Just leaving the country" or located elsewhere than your Craigslist catchment area, then run away. Its a scam.

If they propose some manner of secure payment scheme where a third party (including a courier company you may recognize the name of) will hold the funds until you get the goods -- run away, it's a scam.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Think the point is.......if you can't meet face to face.......it's a scam at that price.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I rarely respond to any good deals now on craigslist just because of this. Seems to happen with some items that are just a good price, not even a great deal.

Easy though to see it when you look for it. The 2 year old powerbook 12" that has 2 years left of warranty, is brand new, but received as a gift so they don't want it.

Although sometimes people are just stupid.

7. RawisJericho thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a local face to face deal, I wouldn't do any other type of deals. If they still have the laptop for sale I should at least take a look at it and see if everything checks out to be fine on it.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unless it's stolen....then somebody might be happy to sell that thing for $1000 since it didn't cost them a thing

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

My vote goes for stolen, as well.

And if so, is there anything to buyer can do about it to verify it's not? A serial number database or something?

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If it's a face to face deal and it looks to be in good shape, then the only thing to consider is, as others said, whether the unit is stolen. Can the seller provide a proof of purchase?

You never know, though. Back in 1999 or so, I was at a garage sale and someone sold me a Sony DSC-F1 digital camera for $25. The cable was defective and he couldn't get it to work, so he dumped it. I bought an IrDA interface for my PC, enjoyed a few years of use out of it (640x480 resolution, woohoo!) before I put it on eBay, and got about $250 for it!

11. NJuul macrumors 6502

Well, the 17" mbp received a 2.33 ghz C2D in november, up from 2.16 ghz CD. So if it is legit, it is definitely older than 4 months.

So, either it's a scam, or someone doesn't know what he is selling (ie, it's stolen). Stay clear.

12. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

That just doesn't add up at all. First off, I would really doubt that there are many places that would have still had this discontinued model still for sale 4 months ago. The Apple Store does have them refurbished on there so I guess that is a possibility but it sells for $2200 on there and add in an extra gig of RAM and thats $100 + $350 or so for Applecare. If there really is 32 months of AppleCare left, it should be May 2010, not 2009.