Too Good to be True online purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NightScrawler, Jun 10, 2009.

1. NightScrawler macrumors newbie

My cousin has recently purchased a used Macbook from some online auction site (she can't remember, but knows it's not eBay) for less than 300 dollars. It came without a power cord, install discs, or even Mac OS on it.

The previous owner had somehow installed Windows XP on it and erased most of the Mac info on it.

I'm told that I'd need the exact version of Mac OS to reinstall, but we can't seem to figure that out. Only solution I can see (apart from purchasing a new one from apple.com and chalking this up to careless internet buying on her part) is to replace the harddrive.

Will this fix the problem or is there anything else we can do?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Replacing the HD won't magically make the OS reappear.

Just goto any computer shop and purchase a Retail copy of OS 10.5 to install. The retail version contains drivers for any Mac, not just one specific model.

Also, check with Apple to see if the computer is stolen, if you want to be nice about things :eek:

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Purchase a retail copy of Mac OS 10.5 or contact Apple for replacement disks, which may come with either 10.4 or 10.5 depending on which model MacBook, specifically, that you have.

4. NightScrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

And just in case that doesn't work? I like having contingency plans.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It will.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Why wouldn't that work? The retail version is what you use to install the OS on any Apple computer that supports its minimum requirements.

If you're questioning the hard drive bit, well, there's nothing to question there ;)

8. NightScrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, a friend has offered the discs that came with his macbook to use, but they won't install anything. I can't seem to find out which version of OS X they are, though. How/where would I find that info?

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

You can't use the disk that came with that Macbook, those disk are only made for that specific Macbook.

10. NightScrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Joy. So, before I spend the $100+ on either Tiger or Leopard, if I buy one and find it's not the one I need, are there return possibilities?

Or are we just completely SOL on this macbook?

(I'm still confused and hardly computer savvy, but I'm the best chance that doesn't involve paying other people money or doing anything illegal)

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well if you buy from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, they will probably let you return the disk.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

A retail copy of Leopard will work on the machine, assuming the machine itself is working properly. The Leopard DVD that you buy in the store is meant to work with any Mac sold in the last 5 or 6 years, at least.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why would you need to return anything? If the original Mac OS has been erased, you need to buy a retail copy if you ever want to use that macbook.

And assuming everything to this point works fine, I'd say your cousin got a pretty good deal for $300.

14. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

If you take the computer to an Apple Store they will reload whatever OS shipped with that model for FREE. If you're nice they just give you leopard because they have more copies. Only cons are you won't get discs for it or anything, and you'll have to wait for about an hour while it installs, but you'll have a working version.

15. NightScrawler thread starter macrumors newbie

I would, but the nearest apple store is in the next state....about three and a half hours away.

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Then I guess it's more worth your time to buy a retail copy for $129 at your local computer store?

So long as there's a functional DVD drive, and a functional hard drive, that will solve your issues.

17. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Depending on the gas mileage of your vehicle, and how much you think your time is worth, it could be worth it.

Personally, I would view it as an adventure. Road trips and Apple stores are two of my favorite things, so for me it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

If you have the time, I would say do it, because while you're there they can check for any other issues or possible problems.

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It sounds a lot like a stolen laptop...

No install disks

No power cord

Ridiculous price

Windows installed: the thief tried to install windows and failed/got fed up of not having his own power cord.

What do you think?

19. molala macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say it's a stolen laptop necessarily, could just be an old model. Which MacBook is it - white, black, Aluminum?

20. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In my first post I said that it might be stolen, heh....

21. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Exactly. The original MacBook base model was 1.83 GHz core duo, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, and combo drive.

If the user never updated anything on it before they decided to sell it then I would say it's not worth a whole lot. $300 wouldn't be that outrageous as you can a far newer and better one on ebay for as little as $500.