Too good to be true or a good deal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crzdcolombian, Sep 19, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

So I went on craigslist looking for stuff to buy and found a late 2012 27inch iMac for $1,100 with apple care.

Things that sketch me out is
    - the location of the buyer/age. They aren't really a student and lived in a bad area. Well not a like the worst area but not really one where a person living in a place for $500 a month would go out and spend $4,000 on 2 computers at 1 time. Not trying to judge people but I just found that pretty odd.
    - the guy kept sniffing. Either he was on drugs or had a cold. Don't think he had a cold haha
    - apple mouse was broken

Things that make it sound ok is
    - they have a copy of the receipt
    - they have the original box
    - he gave me the serial number and it show'd it was the same as the receipt and had apple care until 2016
    - he had the password to the computer. If you don't have it you can't download anything. He let me use it and I downloaded a app and he oked it by putting the password on.

Is there anything else I can do to make sure it's legit. I went over meet the guy and he said he was a DJ moving out of the country and just wanted to get rid of it.

2. SilverOath macrumors member

Sounds good, but can always be lured in with a 'good deal'. Meet in a safe spot - where you can't be robbed of your cash.

See if he can show the last four CC digits on the purchase receipt matching his CC/ID if you're worried about stolen. If could always have been purchased legitimately then charged back under the claim it was stolen. Call Apple if they can't confirm it hasn't.