Too good to be true? scam or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolweirdo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Ok so i been recently shopping for a new RMBP 13" or 15",and i been lookin on CL in NYC and see some good deals like brand new in box 13" RMBP $1400 or a 15"RMBP for $1700-1850 (prices vary on different seller/listing) what would you guys do??? do you think its a scam? or is it a good deal.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Unless it's obvious from the listings, which I'll assume it isn't since you're asking here, then there's no way for you to know – and less than no way for us to know – until you meet with the seller and check out the machine.

People sell things for all sorts of reasons and all sorts of prices all the time. The only way to know is to see for yourself.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess the question is why would someone sell a NIB rMBP 13" for 1400 when they can either
    1. Return it for full refund
    2. Sell it for more $$.

Its either stolen or a scam. Like you said in your title, if its too good to be true then it probably is. These don't pass the smell test to me.

4. coolweirdo thread starter macrumors regular

coolweirdo

what are some good ways to check before making a purchase?

also what would you do?

last but not least 13" for $1400 or 15" for $1800

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Considering maflynn's post above, I'd start with Proof of Purchase. If they can provide that, then I'd proceed. Otherwise, it'd be a "no go" for me.

6. zosobao5150 macrumors member

You could also enter the serial number into Apples website to see if the laptop had ever been registered.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I would be far more inclined to trust "used this for a couple months and realized it was way too much machine for me- buy this so I can buy a MBA and have some cash left over" than "brand new- buy this for some fraction of full retail!"

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Received it as a gift or won it or something and can't take it back?

I wouldn't pay someone retail price to buy it from them as a private sale. Too risky.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Contact them - its very possible that someone could sell a brand new MBP for a price below retail and be making money. I do this so I know. Completely legit.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ask them for the serial number and check on Apples page to see its validity.

As the post said above most people sell for extreme cheaper prices because its a scam or stolen.
    And scam includes broken MBPs/components and some that dont even work at all.

11. zipidy928 macrumors newbie

Fry's

I got the base model 13 from Frys.com for $1499.
    With shipping it comes out to $1,515.

It came well packaged and the unit is brand new sealed in Apple wrapped box.

You might want to check it out. Frys is an Apple authorized reseller

----------

Never mind.. they don't have that deal anymore. I was lucky to order it last week.

----------

If you know someone who lives in NJ, have this shipped to them for no tax:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897201-REG/Apple_md212ll_a_13_3_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

12. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I bought a used like new 13 rmbp on amazon for 1425. Check it out for sure, but it's possible!

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Can get it for 1395 right now - probably is mint condition.

If it doesnt meet your standard you can always return it.

14. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

15. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

Where is the CL link?

16. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

I don't trust this poster - http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/sys/3598576485.html

I would avoid that.

The 1st and the 3rd looks legit BUT you need to meet on a very secure place like a mall or a cafe. Never ever meet a CL seller on a parking lot, in their house or somewhere you are not comfortable with.

When I transact to CL, I meet them up at in front of a local police station :) or on a Starbucks or Caribuo Cafe shop where I can sit and wait and observe the surroundings (especially if I am the seller).

17. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Like another person said meet inside a police station or a big bank that have armed workers

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So all those NIB box sales that we see on Craigslist and/or Ebay are from people who won contests or received it as a gift - highly unlikely. I do concede the point that its possible but I think its more likely that scenario is the exception and not the rule.

19. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Employees and others with access to special discounts sell NIB electronics all the time to pad their income. These prices aren't that far off the market for stuff not purchased from an AR such that more than the usual level of circumspection should be required.

___

20. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I would at least get the serial # before hand and run it through Apple's checker online, maybe even call Apple and ask about the warranty policy for such a purchase and that particular serial number just for peace of mind (you can also ask if/how it can be reregistered under your support profile if necessary).

And definitely meet in a quiet, but public place where there are cops around. Especially in NYC, it's so easy to disappear into the crowd.