Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by redvettez06, Feb 10, 2011.

1. redvettez06 macrumors member

I was casually browsing CL this afternoon and stumbled on this "2 month old" iMac 21.5' i3 for $620 (weird number, huh?). I was originally waiting until this summer to buy a 27" not that I really needed one that big but because I would like it :) Anyways, this piqued my interest and the price seems really good. For those of you who have bought used macs...what should I look out for (serial number, etc.). Is there a way to check if it is hot or not? Any other tips?

Here's the listing (don't swoop in on me;) :) )

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sys/2203390011.html

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Don't do it, this is an email I got back from another "two month old" i3 seller in the Milwaukee, WI area:

If anything, just string them along with bs emails, asking specifics, like what are the physical dimensions of the processor in centimeters, decibel levels of the screen, speakers, etc. The best way to get back at them is to waste their time. Or send them a virus, but only if it turns out to be a scammer ;)

3. redvettez06 thread starter macrumors member

Ah.....I figured as much. Occasionally people are desperate or really don't understand the resale value of Macs (especially if they have resold PCs) so I figured I'd give it a looksey. I will proceed with caution. Thanks! :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The rule of thumb always
    If it sounds too good to be true... it is

Caveat Emptor
    Buyer Beware

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

My brother lives near Anchorage too, and he's also in the market for a Mac, probably an Air. He'll probably wait till he visits in July to buy it, then take it back up with him. He took one look at craigslist postings around there and laughed. Plus, he doesn't really know what he's looking for, so he needs his big brother's help, lol.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

7. redvettez06 thread starter macrumors member

Your brother knows an Apple Store is coming here this fall right?

8. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Anybody called 'Arianna' living in Wolverhampton, selling an iMac for £400 and writing in broken English is an Eastern European prostitute mixed-up in organised crime... or maybe just an Eastern European crime lord pretending to be a prostitute. For yuks.

iMacs cost lots of money. Even used ones. If an iMac's nearly-new and going cheap, it's either stolen or simply doesn't exist.

Craigslist. T'chuh...

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I think his version of "near Anchorage" could very well consist of an 8 hour round trip to the city ;)

10. redvettez06 thread starter macrumors member

LOL, I got the same email this morning.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Step one: ask how big of a hard drive the PS3 that she's selling has