Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dangerous Theory, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

So there's a seller on eBay selling an unopened iPad 2 32GB 3G (locked to Orange) model for £420 + 12.75 shipping. This is WAY under the £579 price for the same thing on the Apple store.

She has only 15 feedback score (100% positive).

What do you guys think about this?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

If it is too good to be true, then it probably is. Why risk it?

3. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

You know how it is, we all get curious. For better or worse :/

4. shandyman Suspended

it's possible, Orange are selling them for £100 if you get it on a data contract, it's subsidised like the iPhone is when you buy it on contract.

It's not the same as buying it at the Apple store as they're unlocked. If you buy it on contract at a network store such as orange, o2, etc, then they're locked to the network.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

iPads on ebay are a bit more of a risk than I would like but craigslist is insane. I have never had more weird interactions than on craigslist with idevices. One guy even sent me a fake paypal, looked good but didn't show in my account. Be extra aware on these things, high demand and volume means all the scammers are out there on these.

The one I am selling is completely legit and no hassle. :cool:

6. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

£100? Are you sure? On their site, the lowest is £199, and thats for a 16GB.

Also, I know Apple sell unlocked but Orange also sell them full price (£579) for SIM only plan, and they're locked.

7. shandyman Suspended

yep, actually it was £99, there was a banner in the local orange shop, tho i think there was a line at the top saying something about existing customers, so could be existing customers only. Anyway someone could easily do that, sell it for a higher price and make a profit and get out of the contract somehow, or even just keep the data sim for themselves if they alread have a device and then make a profit, i know friends that have done it.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's what college is for. :D

9. Dangerous Theory, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

The £199 deal is for existing customers only - it's 229 otherwise. Do Orange shops get better deals?

There's no way you'd make a profit on a 24 month contract @ £25/mo with 199 upfront. (24x25)+199=799. 799-420=379.

379/24 = 15.79, so essentially they'd be getting 1GB data for 15.79/mo. I suppose it's plausible, but isn't very cheap. Now getting out of a contract somehow - that sounds interesting...

EDIT: I've just seen an offer that gives you the iPhone 4 + iPad 2 (baseline models) on a shared contract plan for £99 upfront but £65/mo for 24 months which comes to £1659 total. Minus £1000 device worth, that's £27 per month for 600 minutes, unlimited texts, 2GB data which is almost a reasonable deal. I suppose someone could benefit from selling the iPad in such a deal.

EDIT2: The item's no longer listed. I bet someone viewed this thread and snatched it up ;)

10. shandyman Suspended

no idea, maybe that's the case, i saw it last monday, i'm not back that way until monday, so if the banner is still there, i'll get a photo of it and post it. Deffo said £99 and for existing customers, cos i texted my mate when i saw it as she wanted one. There could have been more fine print, i dunno.

11. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, I'm interested to know. I'd probably go for £99 deal @ 25/mo

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Wow I did not know we have locked iPad in the world?! I thought Apple says that all ipads were unlocked no matter which carrier u sign up with. That's a first meanwhile here in US we have locked iphone vice versa iPad unlocked! And ya in Europe have unlocked iPhone, but locked iPads.

13. shandyman Suspended

iPads are only locked if you buy them at a Carrier's store, buy it from Apple store, it's unlocked, they're only meant to be locked if you buy them on subsidised contract and if you buy one at full price and it is locked, then you can get it unlocked.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I see, but even here in the US when buying an iPad at the ATT store it's still unlocked! I guess it's for Europe.

15. shandyman Suspended

it's not meant to be locked unless it's on contract, surely if you buy one on contract from ATT for a subsidised price, it's locked, same as the phones?

like i said, if you buy one from the store at full price here, it's meant to be unlocked, but there was a kerfuffle where orange were selling locked ones in error and you could get this fixed.

16. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well here in the US we don't get iPad for subsidized price. You pay full price and you can choose your prepaid 3G plan with ATT and verizon if you get the cdma version.

17. shandyman Suspended

So we have what you have, but we also have subsidised version as another option. I bet if you had a subsidised one, it'd be locked just like here. We're better off than you thought with more choice ;) hehe

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well at least ya can get your own carrier to get the iPhone unlocked. Freaking att would not get your iPhone unlocked even after your contract is done.:mad:

19. Dangerous Theory thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm glad we don't have CDMA technology here too. The freedom of carriers is bliss

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well most CDMA phones are usually unlocked, just hassle to switch carrier. Since you have to go to the the carriers store to get the phone set up with a number instead of getting a sim card unlike GSM phones.