Too Good To Be True?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cedwhatev, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I have a guy selling his MacBook Pro off Kijiji (Canada's craigslist)..bought on May 21 2012, Intel i7 2.3ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive, NVidia Geforce 650m, 15.4" display.. which I believe go for just under 1400 on the Refurb Apple Store, right? His price: 550.00 :eek:

Question is.. too good to be true? He sent me pics. It's more than likely stolen, correct? But... sooo tempting.. lol. Need some advice. I'm an MBA guy, don't have much experience in the Pro dept. :eek:

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My guess is, its either stolen or doesn't exist.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Take a good few seconds to think about the absurdity of that price for such a machine. Now you know it's ********, pretend you never saw it and move on.

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Or risk it... Ask to meet in a bank (so you hopefully don't get robbed). I'd be concerned if it works or not. You could maybe get a "test drive" when you meet.

That dGPU doesn't seem right though. Probably a scam.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

might ask the police if they know of any 15" MBPs stolen recently.

6. Panini macrumors regular

Scam.

Only the June refresh models have the 650m gpu.

7. clyde2801, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Have him meet in a public place with wifi.

2. Contact local police first to see if there are any theft reports.

3. Check out the machine by using 'about this mac' to verify specs.

4. Does he have the original boxes, manuals, etc.,etc. Or does he only have the MBP and the power cord? Or, only the MBP itself?

5. If everything else checks out, have him show an ID and have him sign a bill of sale for the machine, and leave a space for the serial number. Have a copy for him that you've signed as well. It will show you as a good faith purchaser.

6. Bought a 2 month old late 2011 17" mbp with stock specs off of CL recently for $1450! Guy was an adult student down on his luck, he seemed to know about macs, and he was almost crying at the quick sale price. I almost felt sorry for him, but that was his asking price.

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Why would someone buy a brand new $2000+ (with taxes) machine, use it one month then sell it for less than 1/4 of its original price, when he knows he could sell it for around 80%?

Best case scenario it's stolen. Worst case scenario... well... :rolleyes:.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, that's a little TOO good to be true. Betcha if it's craigslist, he'll get an email from a woman saying she just moved to England for school, but she'll verify that.....

10. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If that guy indeed bought his MBP on May 21, that laptop DOES NOT have NVIDIA GT 650M at all, it's more likely an AMD Radeon 67x0 GPU. Updated portable Macs with GT650M did not show up until June 11.

My lie detector went off as soon as I read the GPU part.

Stay away.

11. cedwhatev thread starter macrumors 6502

cedwhatev