Too Good to Be True?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thunderclap, Aug 13, 2012.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've been in the market for a Macbook Air 13", and last night I spotted a Like New one from a third-party seller on Amazon for $554 + free shipping. I almost sprung for it, but I was always raised to believe that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Even with Amazon's buyer protection $554 was too much a gamble for me.

So what do you think... did I miss out on a terrific deal or do you think there was something shady with the seller? He was a brand new seller with no rating, and a lot of the electronics he was selling were like new items and half or nearly half off prices.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If it is the 2008-2010 models then it seems about right (those with core2duo's on it). 2011 or 2012 and I would really question....

4. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Sorry... thought I'd mentioned it in my post. It was the 2012 model.

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Looks to good to be true to me. About $300-400 short.

6. 725032 Guest

7. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't the only one who would have been paranoid and thought something was up. :)

8. newagemac, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

newagemac macrumors 68020

Your loss then. I just snagged it. I'll let you know how it turns out...

Edit: Just Kidding

9. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Please do. It re-appeared this afternoon and tried to buy it, figuring Amazon would protect me. The checkout wouldn't let go through, saying it couldn't ship to my address even though the seller is in the US and I'm in the US. I saw the seller said that I should email him first, so I did. He said I should email him my full name and address and he'd send me a link to an Amazon Checkout. That was a major red flag as that sort of defeats the purpose of Amazon checkout.

I'm also pretty sure the seller changed his location. I could have sworn last night it said NJ but now it say AZ.

I dunno... there is just too much weirdness for my tastes.

10. newagemac macrumors 68020

Got the package today with overnight shipping and man is it sweet!!! It's practically brand new!!!:D:D:D

Ok seriously I was just joking. I was meaning to edit my post and let you know I was just kidding but I completely forgot about this thread until I saw the quote notification just now.:eek:

Anyway, I don't know if the seller is real or not but the original point of my joke was to point out that if you do find a really good deal somewhere for a used item, it's not a good idea to post about it on a large public forum like this because anyone could easily snatch it away from you. ;)

This particular thread has already seen over 1000 views for example.

11. SteppingStone macrumors member

SteppingStone

This is definitely a scam -- you see this sort of thing on Ebay all the time.

12. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've been watching the Amazon page and noted a few things: the sellers name keeps changing as does his location (NJ, followed by AZ, and then MN). Not only that, if you try to buy through Amazon it will tell you your address can't be shipped to. The only way to buy is to send the seller your full name and address at which time he'll send you a link to an Amazon Checkout.

So if you see the Macbook Air 13" (Newest) on sale at Amazon for $554 in Like New condition you know to stay away.

13. SteppingStone macrumors member

SteppingStone

Seems likely that Amazon keeps shutting down his accounts and he has to create new ones...

14. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

It's definitely a fake. There has been a handful of scammers on Amazon for a few months now. When you buy the item, they tell you that they need you to use another service such as an escrow or something to pay. When you pay them through amazon, you're not actually at risk of losing your money, but their goal is to get you to use another method of payment.