Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnstopableVato, Feb 18, 2013.

1. UnstopableVato, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

UnstopableVato macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

I am purchasing my first mac and I got a really good deal! Someone is selling me a Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2.7Ghz i7 16Gb 768Gb SSD for ONLY $800! This is a really good deal and it's new! But I confused whether this is a scam or not! I gave the person my details and address and now I got a confiration from the shipping company that it is ready to ship! The shipping company he is using is Royale International! I haven't herd of this company before.This is the email I got from Royale International, it also has the sellers address. Is this too good to be true? I really want it! Please tell me if it's a scam! I wanted to pay by PayPal so it would've been safer but the only option is bank transfer.

Welcome to Royale International!

We have a package in our custody on your name and address.
    The package contents have been verified by our technical team.

The Royale International Group has been providing customised, one stop integrated courier solutions to international customers since its foundation in the early 1980’s. With our team of dedicated professionals, we bring a wealth of industry knowledge and global experience while embracing each challenge with creativity to provide innovative and cost effective solutions to our customers. For more info about our company, please visit: www.royaleinternational.com

Complete your transaction in 3 easy steps:

1) The merchandise will remain in our custody until the buyer sends the payment.
    2) Once the funds are verified, the merchandise will be delivered to the buyer within 3-5 days.
    3) Buyer receives the merchandise and has five days to inspect it.
    - If the buyer will not be satisfied with the merchandise, Royale International will send the merchandise back to the seller and a full refund is immediately sent to the buyer.
    - If the buyer accepts the merchandise, the transaction is completed.

Transaction details:

Shipment Date: 19 Feb 2013

Total Shipment Weight: 7.2 Lbs

Waybill Number: Payment pending (Once the payment is done we will provide tracking details within 24 hours)

Shipment Status: Ready to ship - Payment pending

Package 1 of 1: Packaged and inspected by our technical team

Contents: New Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2.7Ghz i7 16Gb 768Gb SSD
    Including: Accessories, Receipt, Warranty.

Authenticity: Genuine

Condition: New

Duty Type: Non-dutiable

Return Policy: 5 days after the buyer receives the merchandise

Amount: $800.00 AUD

Shipping and Insurance: $0.00 AUD (The shipping and Insurance fees was paid by the seller)

Total: $800.00 AUD

UPDATE: I emailed the person to give me the serial number of the product he gave me it and I checked it up, it's a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro Retina he also said that it includes Apple Care and when I searched up the serial number it shows that it is regiestered under Apple Care!

UPDATE 2: I asked him why he is selling it for so cheap, he said, "First of all, as I said, I don't need it.
    I decided to sell it at a low price because I need money asap and to avoid wasting time with negotiations."

2. ZmyDust macrumors regular

ZmyDust

Definitely a scam. Stay away from that. Youll never see your cash again or the computer.

3. amoda macrumors 6502a

As the other have said, this is a scam. Bury any temptation you have of going ahead of this "just in case". Put those $800 in the bank and save up till you can buy one in person or from a reputable online store, otherwise you'll be $800 poorer and with nothing to show for it.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol how could ANYONE think this is a "good deal"?

5. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

I agree...Seriously now?

@ the OP..Stay away from that man! As someone mentioned, You'll never see your cash again.

6. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

hahaha,good deal to be scammed. And yet,people still believe in fairy tales.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's most likely a scam, unless you can meet someone in person or be protected by such things as paypal, never give money over the internet.

I would've asked if it was a scam prior to buying, not after. If not, there's a bridge I could sell you..

9. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Ask the seller to use Paypal!

That way if there are any discrepancies you can get your money back through paypal.

If he refuses then scam

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

11. Asuriyan, Feb 18, 2013

Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Let's see:
    -Price at a fraction of market value
    -Setting up shipping details prior to transaction
    -Transaction done outside of normal market channels (direct communication between buyer and seller, rather than through an intermediary like eBay)
    -Unknown or shady looking courier service in place of FedEx or UPS
    -Request for unorthodox method of funds transfer
    -Avoidance of PayPal

I think this has literally EVERY indicator of a scam Internet transaction except for a story about a Nigerian prince. If you really have to ask about this, perhaps you shouldn't be buying things online.

12. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Darn right! You can't pass up a deal like this! I might get 2!

;)

13. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Scam!!!

Scam!!!!

When something seems too good to be true it usually is. A used 2012 rMBP with those specs will sell for at least twice that one year from now without apple care!

I don't mean to be rude but I will use this thread for myself. Is there someone here who would buy my brand new MacPro 2017? Since I don't have internet I can't accept paypal or ebay but I can take cash, or a kidney! LMAO!!!!

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I see nothing that says it is a scam. It could, however, be stolen.

It would be a scam if they sent you a box with 7.2 lbs of rocks in it.

Given that the shipping company is acting as a sort of escrow agent for you and the seller, I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a MBP box filled with rocks. I would be a little concerned that I may be receiving stolen property. If you're not satisfied, you DO have 5 says to return it.

FWIW, Royale International is not some fly-by-night company. Contrary to what others may believe, Fed-Ex and UPS are not the only shipping companies in the world. It's a big globe, guys ... Try to expand your minds a bit next time.

15. ZmyDust, Feb 18, 2013

ZmyDust macrumors regular

ZmyDust

Please take my word for it and don't put hope into this persons mind too go forward with the deal. Reread the email... Ther is no fail safe that they just will accept your money and vanish.

I am quite embarrassed to admit that I fell for this scam about 5 years ago and am still $600 poorer because of it. The email I got then was exactly as this one is worded except it was cheaper then.

Scam don't do it.

Edit: Here it is in print on the Royale International Group's website:

16. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Well english is not my primary language but there is not much difference between scam and unknowingly buying stolen property.

Here in Canada if you buy stolen property without knowing it, the police will take away the goods so you have no cash or goods.

But at that price, if the OP gets the goods, he has to know that something is wrong here. Stolen or nothing, it is a scam.

17. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

/thread. It's a complete scam.

EDIT: The only method of payment is wire transfer?!? LMFAO

18. ZmyDust macrumors regular

ZmyDust

This brought back some bad memories for me. As I've said, I fell for this same scam in September of 2008.

After looking back at some old emails, back then they used DHL as the third party shipping company. I received an email apparently from somebody in the "DHL Payment Department" with a tracking number that the website didn't recognize stating they were in procession of the macbook and awaiting my payment.

Again, like the sucker I was, I wired them the cash (actually it was $400 for a black macbook) . No further contact from anybody involved, there was no laptop. I was too embarrassed to report it to the authorities because I figured they'd laugh at me for sending money into oblivion. Took it as an expensive lesson learned.

The email intercations I had were with somebody at amy.79_28@hotmail.com and the fake DHL emailed me from customerservice@sameday-logistics-dhlpost.com

If you've already wired the cash, I'm sorry but I don't believe this will end well. Best of luck if you end up reporting it.

19. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Hey, I'm sorry if I sounded harsh up above, you know these criminals stay in business for that very reason, they can be really convincing.

Accepting wire transfers as the only form of payment is a huge red flag, though. There is no reason any legitimate vendor would not accept a credit card or Paypal payment. That in and of itself should tell anyone to stay far far away.

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I slightly agree, yet disagree at the same time.

A big reason they're in this business is because there's many people out there gullible enough to fall for these scams. At least the OP was smart enough to be wary of such a sale and ask "us" (the MacRumors Forum).

21. amit715 macrumors member

scammmmmmmmm! ive seen this a hundred times ...i am a compliance officer for chase bank and I've seen this before .dont do it bro

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

"Authenticity: Genuine"

Well I can't argue with that!

23. duervo, Feb 18, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I'm not sure how anyone could say knowing that you got a stolen product is "hopeful". My content was trying to look at it with more of a "lesser of two evils" kinda thing. Either one is not a very hopeful situation to be in.

After reviewing the stuff added since my first reply here, it does appear that they really have been (or are being) scammed.

At this point, if it's a done deal, then it's best to put it behind them, and consider it a valuable lesson learned. Look at it this way, though! ... At least they weren't scammed on the same level that Bernard Madoff scammed his clients, so things could have been much worse.

24. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I believe PT Barnum was talking about the OP...