Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghall, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So yesterday I sent in my Macbook Pro to be fixed. Today I check the status of the repair, and my computer has been fixed and is being sent back to me today as well. The only thing that needed repair was the keyboard. I have made some "unauthorized" upgrades to the RAM and hard disk, which I informed Apple about before I sent in my laptop, which got me thinking that my Macbook will not be fixed.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

He's lucky and we should be happy for him.

Good on'ya, ghall

;)

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

That's nice to hear. Much better than the weeks it took them to replace my PowerBook's hard drive on two occasions. Too good to be true? Nah...;)

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Sorry if I'm not being very clear (I'm typing this on my Wii so...yeah). What I was asking was is there a possibility my computer wasn't really fixed because of the upgrades.

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I hope you're right. :eek:

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Im sure it was repaired. Wifes macbook was repaired (mobo and hdd) and reshipped within 1 day after it was delivered to Apple.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have never experienced an occasion were Apple would not repair based on HD and RAM upgrades. These are user upgrades. It shouldn't void your warranty. I would think if there was an issue the statues would say something like "Unauthorized Upgrade, warranty void, returning to customer"

I think not only are you in the clear, but lucky to get it done so fast. I have not yet had to send in my computers to Apple, (Knocks on Silicon), but I would say a one day turn around is astounding.

9. jshbckr macrumors 6502

RAM is user-replaceable in the MacBook Pro, so as long as what needed repair was within warranty, you should be good.

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, the RAM wasn't a huge concern, it was mainly the hard drive I was concerned about since replacing it involved precise "surgery". So I guess I'll be getting it back tomorrow (hopefully).

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Just got it back a few minutes ago. Works like a charm! They took the 3rd party RAM out saying that there was a problem with it, so I just slipped it back in. They seemed to have replaced the entire upper casing, so it's almost like having a brand new computer again. :D

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Bear in mind that there may, indeed, be something faulty with the RAM. So just be prepared if your computer does start to behave in an irratic fashion.

How various companies deal with this depends on their policies. Generally, if what you've done to the computer has very obviously not caused any problems, many companies will just leave well enough alone and service the actual issue.

Just be greatful that Apple isn't Sony. The way I've seen Sony handle computer repairs has always been a concern to me (because I used to work for them).

Good luck!

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I tested the RAM when I first bought it, and it came out clean. I think it's just Apple bitching because I didn't buy the RAM from them. Plus how would RAM cause keyboard issues without touching the logic board? I'm looking at the repair details and all they replaced was the keyboard and the top case assembly.