Too good to be true

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

OK, I am into my second day of Mac ownership. I am slowly finding my way around, however, I do find the following hard to believe but am very impressed if its the case.

Am I right in thinking that programs installed are as simply to remove as deleting it from the applications folder. Obviously used to a windows machine it takes ages to remove all those files scattered about, if at all. I always felt that those files left behind did the PC no good at all.

If this is the case with a Mac, I am pleased as it will allow me to try more software without the fear of leaving loads of rubbish behind when I remove it.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's generally true.

There are some programs that leave pref files elsewhere, but they do nothing to the system.

If the program includes an uninstaller, use that.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Some apps are a little more insidious like Adobe Creative Suite which comes with an uninstaller, which occasionally fails to work, needing the brute force of something like this.

I've never had a problem with removing free/shareware or apps from careful developers. Just usually Adobe or Microsoft, who like to dump all sorts of useless stuff on your Mac. Anything that has product activation or other forms of copy protection can be a bit more problematic at times.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can use something like AppCleaner or Appzapper to remove all of the preferences files and the like.

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The pref files are usually small and just a drag to search through if you ever go prep cleaning by hand.

Yeah most programs are just Trash and Dash it seems.

Nice, huh? My head always spins when I work on a PC and have to figure out all the stray garbage throughout the machine.

6. parcvisitation macrumors newbie

parcvisitation

in apple's territory, the OS takes strong control and the user meet less registry/spyware problem. but, later you will find the other side of the coin: you have less app to chose.:p

7. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Except in the case of iLife :confused: