Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moral-hazard, Aug 3, 2009.

1. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I was browsing craigslist looking for a mac mini to use as a fileserver/movie machine to hook up to an HDTV. I see alot of apple computers for sale (lightly used, newer, intel macs) at very affordable prices:

13.3" Blackbook 2.16GHz - $400
    15.4" MBP (2008) 2.6GHz w/ applecare till 2012 - $600
    15.4" MBP (20??) 2.2GHz - $500
    13.3" White Intel MB (broken due to soda spilled on it) - $25

I know for a fact that I could turn these around for an easy $150-250 profit on eBay (or part the broken white intel MB, as the case may be). Yeah I'd have to pay some eBay and paypal fees but it just seems like these prices are too low. I was even considering buying the blackbook just to use personally as the fileserver / media machine (even though I wanted a mac mini i could probably use this and just hack it so that it doesnt sleep when the screen's closed...)

These prices are actually not *incredible* for comparably spec'd PC's, but the market for apple laptops is huge and people are always willing to pay a premium.

any thoughts?

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

They do appear a bit low. Be cautious and insist on meeting at a public place with people around. You also have to worry about the goods being stolen.

3. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. One of them was in philadelphia in an area where I wouldn't go even for a free macbook...:eek:

But a few were in Pittsburgh & I could request a meeting at my school (anyone from PGH should know how to get there so it's a good place to meet). The blackbook offer sounded pretty legit - said he upgraded to a MBP. I could easily see this being the case & someone just wanting a to get a quick $400 in cash (rather than dealing with eBay / shipping / fees) to help offset the cost of the new machine.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

And make sure you get all the stuff; the charger, install disks, etc. I would ask to see his purchase receipt to make sure it's not stolen. Then test the machine as thoroughly as you can; make sure all the keys work, the dvd drive works, etc.

5. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I asked about the receipt on the blackbook - apparently its still under applecare and works 100%. If its got a receipt and I can have a full 10 minutes to test it out (Xbench, test drives, disk test of some variety, test all keys) Ill offer $350 for it and have a nice new server if an agreement is reached. Disks and charger arent *AS* important though apparently he has them.

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If I was selling something below market value and someone offered me less than I was asking I'd kindly tell them to take a hike. How bad do you want it?

7. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't matter any more - I would have paid the full $400 if everything was 100% in order and the receipt checked out but apparently it sold already. Guess ill go back to searching for a mac mini (which is what I wanted anyway)

8. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

counter offer $450