Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcosco08, Aug 13, 2010.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

So while surfing craigslist, I found an ad for a Macbook pro for $600, so I checked it out. It seemed too good to be true, as specs weren't listed. I sent an email asking for the specs and got this

"Hi
    I am selling this Macbook because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and I need the money in the shortest possible time. The price is low because I need to sell it before Aug 17th. It is in immaculate condition, barley used.
    It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $600.00. The Macbook is in Springfield, IL.
    Let me know if you are interested, email me back.

Intel Core2Duo 3.06GHz CPU - 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 Memory
    256 GB Solid State Hard Drive - GeForce 9600M GT Graphics
    17 inch LED High Resolution Display - 8X Super Drive
    Mac OS X v10.X Snow Leopard
    New Unibody Case model

Thank you

SSG Anna Feldman
    139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment
    Springfield, Illinois Army National Guard"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, too good to be true? Things to check for if I follow through? Thanks

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

3. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

4. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I guess the email was "anna_feldman@illinois.usa.com"
    which does not exsist so I looked through the headers and found the email to be
    anna.feldman2@gmail.com
    strange

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

It's a scam, the ad alone makes it painfully obvious.

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Nice phone number to the 139th at the bottom too.

From the Illinois Air and Army National Guard:

SPRINGFIELD (WIFR) - Criminals claiming to be a deploying Illinois Army National Guard Soldier defrauded numerous people out of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dollars.

“Law enforcement agencies are actively investigating these crimes,” said Maj. Brad Leighton, Illinois National Guard Public Affairs Director.

Leighton said the scam has been an ongoing problem, but based on the number of calls to his office it seems like the perpetrators have increased their activities the last couple of weeks.

For more than a year, there have been multiple advertisements posted on Craigslist claiming the sellers are deploying to Iraq with the Illinois Army National Guard’s (ILARNG) 139th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment in Springfield. Advertised items range from vehicles to an Apple I-Pad. The person impersonating an Illinois Soldier attempts to get the potential buyer to use Google Checkout, a third-party Web site, to transfer funds. All of these advertisements are a scam.

After further review by the Criminal Investigative Division, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National Guard Security office, these ads have been found to be fraudulent in order to obtain ividuals personnel identification information. Craigslist’s legal office has been contacted.

Craigslist tips on how to avoid scams:

Deal locally with people you can meet in person

Never wire funds via Western Union, MoneyGram

Fake cashier’s checks and money orders are common and banks will cash them and then hold you responsible

Craigslist is not involved in any transaction

Never give out financial information

Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services and only a scammer will “guarantee” your transaction.

If you encounter one of these ads, contact the FBI’s Crime Complaint Center on their Web site.
    For questions please contact the Public Affairs office at ngilstaffpao@ng.army.mil or 217-761-3569.

7. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Yeah, if someone is shipping out, you better believe they're taking their laptop WITH them!! The post sounds like "shipping out" meaning "Man, I got that huge bill coming up, I need money pronto!"

UGGGH.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

certainly does look like a scam! you should go ask them if you can see it first ;)

9. Yimbie macrumors member

lol $600

Try seeing if you can meet them in person with the MBP.

10. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

that thing would be worth more than 600 dollars if he sold it after he got back from being deployed. definite scam.

if it does seem to be real tell them you will buy it in a private ebay auction. that way you get protection from ebay and paypal if you use paypal.

11. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I love trying to bait these people into meeting you in real life. You get the best excuses!

12. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

13. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

So I asked to meet and got this

14. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Don't you think if it was real, they would at least use proper grammar? Or that "Anna" would want to get paid before you got the notebook?

I know it's a great deal and all, and you probably know it's a scam, just be careful. :)

Also, that reply is like the literal definition of the news story that is posted a bit above this.

To have a bit of fun, I would email back and say you'll be in Il. and that you'll be able to meet this "Anna" to pick up the unit in person. xD

15. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Contacted by Google check-out agents? Seriously? :D

P.S. Whomever this is doing this scam does not speak English as their first language.

16. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

17. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ya exactly.

Also aren't American troops coming out of Iraq very soon?

18. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

For some reason this reminds me of the scammer from P-P-P-Powerbook!

19. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

What military base would that be? Phone number please.

411 "I'd like the phone number for the ...military base in..."

"Hello, do you have a soldier there named Anna ..., she says she is selling a MBP very cheap and I'd like to be certain that this is on the up and up."
    --

20. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

on base? the email said she couldnt leave the base. which is bs, you can leave on weekends i believe. and i think she is (supposedly) a high enough rank to live off base anyway.

yep staff sergeant. she would definitely live off base.

21. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Probably missed it if you didn't read my post above quoting the press report on this scam:

"For questions please contact the Public Affairs office at ngilstaffpao@ng.army.mil or 217-761-3569."

And dial 411? Seriously? There's this new thing called Google that can give you all the info you need and takes less time than dialing 411.