Too heavy for this playground...

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ArtOfWarfare, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Fired up Xcode 6 for the first time and excitedly opened a new playground, and I crashed it within 60 seconds by changing the "var" statement in a template to a "let" statement and then back to a "var".

Whoops.

It kind of reminds me of when I learned that the weight limit for those swings you can buy at Toys R Us is 80 pounds.

Edit:

And I did it again. It lasted about 3 minutes before simply crashing on me. I can't tell what it is that I'm doing that causes it to crash, although I must say I can crash it swiftly. It looks fairly promising, I just wish it would let me play with it longer before it collapses under its own weight.

2. mfram macrumors 65816

I had about 4 Xcode crashes making a simple Swift app for Mac OS. XCode definitely has stability issues.

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Seems to be okay for me too. I ran through the first set of examples in one playground without any hiccups under Mavericks.

5. JohnsonK macrumors regular

No need to be heavy for it to crash, currently :p

6. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I haven't had any crashes yet in Xcode, but I have had bugs.

I think it helps that I'm not using the playground at all. I've heard of crashes mainly from people using playground.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Mine crashed a fair amount in the playground also. So much that I gave up and just went back to learning Objective-C. I'll wait until it's out of beta.

8. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

To those saying you haven't had it crash, try typing this in:

Code:
    var a = 1
    var b = 2
    (a, b) = (b, a)
    I'm not sure whether that should or should not work, but it's the shortest way I know of swapping variables in languages like Python, so I wanted to see if it would work in Swift. I've managed to crash Xcode 3 times in a row by typing variants of that.

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

As soon as I type the close paren on the first (a,b), Xcode crashes. Did it multiple times in a row, tried rebooting and running again, but error at same spot. This was in 10.9.3 on a non admin account.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Same thing happens to me. It won't even let me finish the a before crashing.

Code:
    var a = 1
    var b = 2

let total = a + 0
    let summary = "\(total)"

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Any reproducible crashes we need to make sure we report to Apple, so they can make Xcode less flaky.

12. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I thought they explicitly said somewhere that bugs in the beta should not be reported via the bug reporter?

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They did? Where?

14. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

I have the same experience. Seems to crash very quickly when it encounters any largish array or tuple. I'm trying to solve Project Euler issues using Swift and crashing constantly kind of takes the fun out of it.

15. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Tested it in Beta 2 - it seems to allow me to type a bit more of my example before crashing, but it crashes after the closing parenthesis in (a, b).

16. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

No they ask all the time to post errors, design problems and improvement ideas to improve Swift to Radar. Radar is the only tool used to track such stuff.