Too Hot For My Pants

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAnoyingApple, Apr 25, 2010.

1. TheAnoyingApple macrumors member

Hi.. i have had my macbook pro for like a week and i just noticed that it gets soooooo hot.it is now between 75 and 80 degrees. I have open itunes, safari with chatroulette and msn messenger.. It really feels too hot.. Im afraid that maybe the internal components might get fried or soemthing. is this normal? are my computer components gonna get fried?

Its a 15" base model with high def resolution by the way.

Its also charging so...

2. nimski62 macrumors regular

I guess it is, I'm typing this as my privates are burning. One thing I have noticed though is when the nvidia 330m runs, it is much hotter.. I am starting to feel like I should have bought a refurb 15" and waited for another refresh to iron out these seeming kinks.

3. clindner macrumors regular

Wasn't that the title of a song in the 90s?

I'm... too hot for my pants, too hot for my pants...

You could always take your pants off if the computer is too hot for them. Seems like the thing do to on Chat Roulette anyway!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

75 yo 80 is within normal operating temperatures, chatroulette is flash based I believe and the flash port to OS X sucks, it's very processor intensive and will heat up your CPU nicely.

Turn it off and don't use sites that have flash, you'll see a big decrease in temps.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

That is pretty normal for a MBP model. Just sitting idle with Firefox running iStat usually shows 140 degrees F. I've seen it get as high as 185-190 F many times under load.

Buy a laptop pad of some kind, lots to choose from at Best Buy. You can get the fancy ones with fans or just a lapdesk type.

6. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I have never seen my base 15" rise above 45 degrees C. I haven't pushed it very hard though, just internet surfing and itunes.

Try downloading ClickToFlash, it blocks all flash content in your browser unless you have added the website to your whitelist.
    It should decrease those temps and give you a longer battery life too.

EDIT: it appears the ClickToFlash website isn't working right now.

7. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

i bought a cooling pad for mine (17" i5) but have barely needed it, mine stays so cool. my last mbp nearly burnt my legs off lol

8. TheAnoyingApple thread starter macrumors member

i have downloaded clicktoflash and istats and wanted to know if the degrees are in farenheit or celcius?

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think by default, iStats shows temps as Fahrenheit. But you can go into System Preferences > iStat Menus > Sensors and then go down to the small box in the lower left hand part of that that lets you change it to Celsius.

[​IMG]

10. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

lmao at "chatroulette" just getting casually tossed in your open apps list....

11. fastae macrumors newbie

My i5 MBP with High-Res is running idle... around 50...but when I'm working...(VMware Windows 7, iTunes, and Eclipse...) it goes around 70~80...

So is this normal???

12. fastae macrumors newbie

Are you using the i5 one?

13. TheAnoyingApple thread starter macrumors member

Yes

14. fastae macrumors newbie

Well then, this might the normal temperature we have to live with. I was just wondering if mines were exceptionally high but I guess it's same for all i5 high res MBPs.