Too hot in a car?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lola17, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Lola17 macrumors newbie

Lola17

When I went to work today, I left my macbook pro in my backpack in the car. My manager mentioned that the heat wouldn't be good for it and could damage it. I never thought about it. I know there are certain temperatures to operate it in, but what if its just sleeping?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

There are literally hundreds of threads regarding the temperature of MacBooks and what damage, if any, can be caused.

The bottom line is the computer would shutdown before damage would be done. The only time it would reach such extreme temperatures would be if something like a fan failed, or you had a lot of dust clogging the fans up. I would try not to suffocate it but it shouldn't be an issue if it is sleeping.

3. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

It's certainly not good for the battery. I recall reading excessive heat exposure will shorten the battery capacity.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That's the main thing I would worry about. If you can, leave the windows open a crack. Otherwise it would be best to take it inside to a cooler environment.

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Cars can get to 200f easily. Take it in.

6. mingoglia macrumors 6502

One thing that would make a difference is your climate. I'm in AZ and it hit 111 degrees today. I wouldn't leave it in my car for very long. If you're in a place where it's 75 degrees that's a different story.

Regardless of temp though a machine that's not left in a car can't be stolen outta a car. It happens to members here every now and then and I cringe thinking about losing a $3k machine.

7. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Thake it inside, leaving it on the car is a really bad idea, heat exposure can seriously damage your MBP...

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... and even worse if the MBP got stolen.

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Good point... :cool:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    From http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html