Too hot to be a "laptop"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonenub, Sep 12, 2011.

1. iphonenub macrumors regular

Just got my mbp, if I don't task the processor (no games/mostly safari) can I sit it on my lap without it being too hot?

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

yes. mine never gets too hot to use on my lap unless i'm gaming/rendering/programming.

and if it does, you can always use a lap tray/sleeve/anything to create a heat buffer.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Agreed. If just surfing the internet or listening music, etc. It's fine. Don't try putting it on your lap while running handbrake though! :p

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

well, you can. if you want to have trouble walking for a few days. xD

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

'Tis why they call it a "Notebook" my good sir.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Now, hot semen will become hot spermicide.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Tell me about it. CPU temp goes up to 210 and fans start going 6000 RPM within an minute on handbrake :eek:. I could fry and egg on the back of my laptop.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

You guys should use something like HP tx2z. That thing idles at 62°C (144°F) and goes up to 80°C (176°F) on watching youtube videos. It doesn't feel as hot as my MBP does at those temps, however, because of plastic construction.

10. mountains macrumors regular

It only starts to get hot when you do something silly, like try to play Starcraft multiplayer matches while sitting on your couch. My 2011 MBP 13" generates virtually no heat - the CPU is running at 39°C with Chrome, Twitter, Outlook, and Spotify running. This may sound hot, but it's just the CPU's temp; the enclosure base temp is sitting at a comfortable 24°C.

11. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks guys I didn't want to find out the hard way in the middle of something important.

12. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i once bought a hp netbook and the first night i used i burned my lap. i didnt use it anymore than an hour and took it back to best buy and bought my gateway. my gateway gets warm but not bad and this macbook hasnt went over 118* in normal use. did a timemachine back up this morning and it got hot as did the external firewire drive. i didnt have istat on so dont know what the temp were but it was hot. cooled down in about 2 min after timemachine..i must say i love this mac and will continue to buy macs

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

...Or "Portable".

14. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I don't know if anyone who speaks english as a first language has read this article, but its hilarious.

15. tech250 macrumors newbie

I had to return my first unit less than a week after purchasing it. It was just too hot. Even the tech wondered if I had it on before I brought it in to the store. The second unit is fine. If it seems to hot, return it.

16. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I gets warm but if you wear reasonable clothes, jeans etc then its not to hot to use as a laptop. I play all my games on mine sitting on the couch, I now use a speck see thru satin case and that cuts down massively on the heat on my legs.

17. Shandidy macrumors newbie

thats not completely true, i own the exact same notebook you have and it idles at 65C with maybe chrome open on it, and if i am playing team fortess 2 cpu temp at 95C.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it's possible that you guys just have different temps... although that difference is remarkable. mine doesn't get higher than 50C unless i'm gaming or am obstructing the vents.

19. realchimera macrumors regular

Your temperature is too low for a MBP. There could be something wrong. You should send it back to apple store for a check.

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You are one of the lucky ones. Apple's build quality tends to vary, and mine had gobs of thermal paste which was causing it to overheat. It's a well known issue and well documented in the forums here.

Such a shame that one has to tear down their brand new MBP to cleanup the mess of sloppy assembly. Too much paste is a bad thing.

Now that I've done mine, (the second one I've had to do) it runs really nice. A thin coat of thermal paste is how the chemical is designed to be applied and once that's done, then you've not only fixed the problem, but extended the life of the computer.
    Not even close, we all know that heat is the enemy of electronics and there is no such thing as a Mac that runs too cold.

21. Shandidy macrumors newbie

ok so basically, it is possible for a band new macbook pro to be over heating because of excessive thermal past, because mine running only google chrome streaming videos on youtube cpu temps around 65C, and playing games is around 95C, but if that the case it better to service the machine and that will be sucks big time to service a brand new mbp that i never used more than 3 month, all i wanna know if these temps are normal it usually idles around 55C nothing opened, google chrome make it goes up to may be 77C, gaming 95C and it never exceeded 95C.

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

When I'm in a colder classroom at school, mine stays in the 40s as well. It's amazing how much the ambient temperature in the room helps keep the machine cool.

Right now in my room that's say, 78 F, the temps stays in the 50s.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop posting.

Those temperatures are exactly inline with mine. You shouldn't be worrying. The cpu/gup will overclock to increase performance and that brings more heat. They throttle when the temperature gets too high to avoid damaging the system; either that or the machine will cut itself off.

Don't obstruct the vents and don't waste money buying a puny fan to blow air on the laptop, the heat comes from the cores; cooling the body will virtually do nothing to help you.

Keep it on a hard surface and you should be fine.

23. dakine17 macrumors newbie

dakine17

With that being said, would it be bad to keep the FanControl running 4000 rpm during handbrake?

24. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Apparently Apple thinks otherwise, contrary to their marketing as a "notebook" as opposed a "laptop"

[​IMG]

25. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I hope she doesn't try to FaceTime like that; her beautiful legs might get even more hotter: I would not be able to resist.