Too Hot to Trot - help me get cool?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Reality4711, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Reality4711 macrumors 6502

Reality4711

Hello y'all,

My Octo. Mac Pro has to stand where it is.

I have no option-honest.

So I need to give it a bit of a hand in the cooling department. ie. Does anyone have an experience of boosting the general air flow or even moving the hot air away from the back of their machine?

Extra exhaust fan on the back maybe?

Any thoughts? Thank you.

2. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

Why are you trying to alter the cooling? Are the temps reported too high or do you just want the exhausted heat away from the location where your Pro stands?

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If you can't move your machine to a cooler location just get metal floor fan and position it in different locations near your machine and give it a go. I say metal because metal fan blades move much more air than plastic blades.

Not knowing your setup you could try:

Blowing cooler air into the room.
    Aiming the fan so it blows fresh air into the air intake of your machine.
    Blow the hot air coming out of the machine away from the back of the machine.

4. Reality4711 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reality4711

Thanks so far.

I do have a slight overheat problem.

I think due to warm air build up at the back of the machine - slightly compact volume -

Moving that air away seems the obvious way to go. Either using extra internal fans to force the flow or external fan just to drag the warm air away.

Just having problem making the decision I guess. DDUUUHHHHH!

Anyway all contributions gratefully received :)

5. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

What are you using to check the temps in your MP and what are they? Are you having actual lockups and other problems you think are heat-related or are you just concerned about the temps?

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

^This. Spin the fans on the back of your machine faster, thusly pumping more air through them.

This is another good concern. Is your MacPro actually overheating? Maybe post a screenshot of temperatures as given by a reporting program? Command+Shift+3 for a screenshot, IIRC, Command+shift+4+spacebar+mouse click for a local one.

7. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Just stick one of those vertical room fans near it to get the air moving. They only take up a small amount of floor space and can move quite a bit of air, even on low. That is what I use, and it keeps things nice and cool around my computer rack.

8. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

When is the last time you blew the dust bunnies out of her? Needs to be done every couple of months. Doing this and using smcfancontrol will cool it down.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OP: I'd consider just a low speed fan, put it behind the computer point it up to help redirect the airflow.

Why do you refer to the Mac Pro as "her"?

I'd personify the Mac Pro as a "he" since it's the big workhorse; pretty much has to either spend all day at work getting results and finishing up projects that need to be done, or downloading stuff restlessly at night. He's a multitasking wonder. Of course he can be headless sometimes just working and doing everything. He's can be a gamer too—always up for LAN parties and networking. Good looking as well: strong physique.

As for the "her," that's more of the MacBook Air: slender and curvy; hot sometimes and when it's hot, oh boy nothing gets done. Compromise on a few features, but since she's thin, you don't really complain. It's the one you want to take out with you all the time, take her everywhere to show off to your office buddies and all. Otherwise you take care of her, and if she gets any boo boos, you worry. She does play games, like monopoly and chess, but if you try to get her to play first person shooters she'll just complain—pretty much a no-can-do (if yours can, you're quite fortunate). Does the small tasks like word processing alright, but don't except big jobs to be done or it'll take forever. She's also like using things you own oppose to using her own; at first these things she'll ask permission, but how do you say no? Eventually you tell her she can use all your things without asking. Oh right, did I mention she's expensive to maintain as well? I won't even go into that!

Damn I need to get out more.

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The MacPro is expensive, if not more expensive, then the Air to maintain. Not to mention several female characters break the mold portrayed.

Samus Arran. Zoey. Motoko Kusanagi.

We have old school, new school, and cthulu-like badassness (respectively)that somewhat destroys the "I'm not going to lift the fscking couch" mentality the Air portrays in your (Alphaod's) description.

Anybody else reminded of an iMac with the second description? :D

Not all of us here are guys, you know.

11. Reality4711 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reality4711

WOW!!

I have never had such a response as this to one of my dum questions. Thank you all very much.

OK. Not specific overheat or performance thing, just me being 'pro-active'

So. I will give 'him' a blow *** and check the temps again and I will once that is done install a small fan (vertically) to help remove-aid flow- the warm air.

Hopefully pre-empting any real probs. when I crank it up for some real work.

Love the descriptions personifying the macs..

Best forum around.

Thanks y'all.:):)