Too hot with Cushtop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CyberGhostface, Jun 26, 2013.

1. CyberGhostface macrumors newbie

I recently got a Belkin cushtop for my Macbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8N044-023-Notebook-CushTop-Stand/dp/B002GHCT2W/

The left side of my Macbook feels a bit hot (the keyboard feels a little warm too) and I'm not sure if the CushTop is causing it and if I should stop using it. I just downloaded smcFanControl and the temperature's at 53° as I type this but I've seen it go into the mid 60s.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

When placing something heavy on pillows and other soft materials, it usually sinks in (not my much though) and sometimes may block some of the vents.

----------

53 Celsius = 127 F, that seems high to me :confused:

4. simsaladimbamba

It may seem high for your human body, but the Intel CPUs used in MacBook Pros can withstand 105° C / 221° F before shutting down to prevent overheating, thus being at 53° C is quite good.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I guess thats true, relatively speaking, but wouldnt such heat shorten its life?
    Apples recommended operating range is between 10-35C (50-95F). And 127 is a significant ways away from that 95.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778

6. simsaladimbamba

That temperatures are for the environment the computer is being used in, thus do not use it in direct sunlight when it is 40°C out there and such.

Apple does not list the internal component temperature limits and 53° C is not shortening its life. My 2009 MBP with a C2D CPU is currently at 72° C and the GPU at 77° C. The CPU can rise up to 90° C and more without hurting the MBP.

I post it again though, maybe this time someone can profit from it: Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

7. CyberGhostface thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

FWIW the Cushtop is apparently made specifically for laptops (it's a pretty firm surface) but I've heard complaints of overheating with some models. I just don't want to use it if it has a chance of hurting my computer.