Too late for S3 LTE?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by xDKP, Apr 25, 2018.

1. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Hi all..

I know this is a way too hot potato to mention, but here goes:

I have a SS S2 and have been longing for a S3 SS LTE since the release - now after over 6 months they are preparing to release the SS LTE versions here in Denmark... I'm a little torn by this - Do we have any leaks about the S4? As I see it they can see it two ways:

1: Release S4 as planned in the fall
    2: Delay the release of the S4 because LTE rollout have been very slow globally and they therefore haven't reached the potential yet?

Not expecting anyone to have any solid knowledge, but let's hear thoughts - I would love the S3 LTE for the connection, altimeter and the speed primarily but if it's only 6 months to go for an updated S4 I would have to kick myself a lot

2. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

There have been some leaks. Talked about on MR forum.

Bigger screen by thinner bezels, improved battery and more health features.

If they are just preparing to release S3 LTE version, why not give it a couple more months and see what happens.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It may be only 6 months to go for an updated S4 for the USA and a few other places, but like you've experienced with the S3, it might be another year before it is available in Denmark. Six months is still a long time to have and use an Apple Watch, in my opinion. I wouldn't delay purchasing if I wanted one badly enough. But I tend not to worry too much about when something might be released.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I would bet my house on there being a Series 4 in September.

The availability issues of LTE models is related to the networks getting ready for it, not a decision by Apple. So once LTE models are available in your country, you can expect to have availability of the next model in September and not have to wait again.

But we are only half way through the cycle. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and purchase.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

If you've got a S2, the upgrade to S3 is going to be relatively minor. If you were on S0, then yeah, you'd probably want to upgrade ASAP ;), but I would suggest hanging in there for S4/LTE to appear; if Apple is preparing S3/LTE now then you'll probably get the S4/LTE from day one when it launches over there.

Btw, where did you hear Denmark is getting LTE watches? I've seen nothing of this... Seeing as I'm a fellow Nordic country user, this would be very interesting for me. :)

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/24/apple-watch-3-lte-to-launch-denmark-india-may/

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

@Brookzy
    Wow! Awesome news... I'm a "3" subscriber as well, so excellent news for me! :p Thanks a lot, I appreciate!

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Completely agree. Ming Kuo was behind the most recent rumor indicating an Series 4 to launch this Fall with the features you mentioned. Also, there are very _few_ rumors with the Apple and being he predicted a Series 4, it seems highly likely with a newer form factor.

9. xDKP thread starter macrumors 65816

xDKP

Must say though, if they redesign the strap system or otherwise makes it nessecary to change the straps, I will find a lower priced S3 when the new model drops. I’m way too invested in all these straps to even change colour of my watch!

10. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Yeah, considering I bought a space black ss link bracelet for my S3 sport - I'm hoping to be able to keep that for future watch upgrades... if they didn't fit I would definitely be a little disappointed (even if I only paid $180 for the band)

11. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

I got an S3 w/LTE a couple of weeks ago even though Apple may/may not bring out a Series 4 in Autumn with a new design.

Compared to my Series 2 which I now use at work you'd think the improvements would be minor but Watch OS4 on my S2 is much slower than on my S3.

12. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The S4 is expected to have a 15% larger display and a bigger battery to accommodate the new form factor. What this means is it will almost certainly have a different size case.

The S3 uses a very old, power hungry Snapdragon X7 LTE modem. The more current X12 modem is built on a 14nm process which employs FinFETs. This is a big reduction in power consumption.

In short, there's a lot of room for improvement compared to S3.

13. Wishbrah macrumors regular

thanks for the rundown, i came here looking for information like this in particular. definitely worth waiting for.

14. Relentless Power, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re missing from Kuo in addition to the added health monitoring capabilities, which I am willing to believe is added health sensors. With the addition alone with the assumption of health sensors, larger battery and Taptic Engine that likely will expand the casing to change in some form or another.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/27/apple-watch-series-4-redesign-rumor/

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Nothing has been rumored about a bigger case or a bigger battery, to my knowledge. Personally I would not expect this, but instead expect the display to grow by shrinking the bezels, not by expanding the case.

16. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

https://www.streetinsider.com/Analy...M+Within+Next+Three+Years+-+KGI/13988083.html

A bigger display requires more power and the easiest way is to grow the case and battery.

17. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

That wouldn't make sense. You couldn't shrink the bezels AND grow the case at the same time without having to make the watch thicker instead, and seeing how Apple obsesses over thinness in almost everything they make, I seriously doubt that's going to be how they do it.

Apple isn't really the kind of company that goes the easiest route, especially if that would make their products heavier, larger and clunkier with no added benefit to users (or even removing benefits, such as making their band collection incompatible), and also more timeconsuming and expensive to produce for Apple themselves.

There are other ways to scrounge up additional power in a device, including higher energy density batteries, as well as more internal space devoted to the battery (like with the doublestacked PCB in iPhone X for example), as well as more power-efficient microchips used and better, more optimized software running the device.

18. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

No one is expecting a thicker case nor a thinner bezel. It will simply be a wider case, perhaps at 46mm.

Right now, the Watch has a relatively thick bezel not because of the display but because of the case. The case is wider than the display in order to accommodate a battery and logic board.

With more sensors, Watch simply needs more power. More than just for the display. It needs more power than “scrounging” up will provide.

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

iPhone X says you're wrong on the bezels. And sensors? What sensors would that be? There really isn't much Apple could realistically add that it doesn't already have. Blood oxygenation or blood sugar monitoring for example would make the watch a medical device instead of a fitness device, with a completely different set of legal and liability requirements placed on it. Apple would have to seek certification nation by nation, it would be a monstrously complicated and time-consuming process, if at all possible.

Maybe Apple adds a digital compass, but the need for it seems beyond slim. In any case it wouldn't change battery life one bit even if they did.

20. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Watch uses the same OLED technology as iPhone X. Except Watch has been using it since day one. There’s no low hanging fruit Apple can grab to make the bezels thinner.

Is Apple going to let certification dictate what technology goes in the Watch? I doubt it. Apple makes major changes to the form factor of its products at least once every 3 years. The Watch is due for a refresh and the new form factor should accommodate developments through 2021. This includes everything from blood pressure to pulse ox sensors.

21. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Wrong my friend. Many people are expecting thinner bezels. Whether we will see them in the next iteration is the mystery.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Not sure how you can claim JPack is wrong, which they indicated “No one is expecting a thicker case nor a thinner bezel”, when the reality is, no one knows what to expect for Series 4. However, Look at Apples maturation process of their products over the course of time from when they first debut, they increasingly become thinner.

Also, you said ‘Many people are expecting thinner bezels’, who are those many people? I would say the majority of comments and complaints from the beginning, is the Apple Watch is too thick, which inherently many seem to request actually a thinner casing if anything.

23. squirrrl, May 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018

squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

While it seems you speak English it looks like you don’t understand it. The person I quoted said “no one is expecting a thinner case nor a thinner bezel”. I countered that some people are EXPECTING a thinner bezel. You should look up the definition of an expectation. Just because we are expecting it, doesn’t mean that we will be right which was the whole point of my second sentence. I think you should read people’s comments more carefully because you often misconstrue them, end up in arguments and can never admit that you were wrong in the first place.

Secondly I was also only commenting on the bezels part of his comment, not the thickness of the watch. It’s really not hard to miss. My comment was only two sentences. Along with “expectation” you should look up “bezel” which you will see has nothing to do wth the thickness of the watch.

As for who is expecting a thinner bezel? These are articles all in response to Ming chi Kuo’s prediction that the Apple Watch will have a 15% larger display (though he didn’t say if it would be with a wider case or thinner bezels or both):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...g-all-new-design-release-date-battery-screen/

Relevant quote: But maybe a bigger display is possible in a similar-sized Watch, if Apple trims the bezel size a little – KGI says the new Watch will have a 15% bigger display. That’s certainly possible as the bezels around the active display could be slimmer – the full size of the display is most clearly revealed when you launch the Watch’s torch, which is, in fact, a white light rectangle that covers most of the display.

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...-4-watchos-5-features-price-release-date.html

Relevant quote: The report doesn’t really go into specific details on how any of these things will be achieved. For example, the 15 percent larger display may mean a larger Apple Watch case (for the first time since its debut), or it may simply mean less bezel area between the display and the edges of the case.

https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple-watch-series-4-redesign-battery-2018

Relevant quote: The new model will have a display that's 15% larger than the current Apple Watch. However, it's not clear if this will be done by reducing the bezels or moving away from the 38mm and 42mm sizing scheme Apple has relied upon thus far.

I haven’t even included comments from people in this forum that have posited (yes you should look up this word too) that the 15% extra screen real estate may be achieved by thinning the bezels.

So in conclusion, many are expecting thinner bezels.

24. Relentless Power, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Semantics and drivel edited from the discussion, For the Record of accuracy , you did Not say _some_ in your prior post, you stated “Many people”, which would seems contradictory to your own indication.

Reference:

And:

Not Sure why you deflect from the questions asked to you in discussions ,As the question still stands, who are these ‘many people’ that you’re speaking of and referring to? A tech forum? Just naturally curious where your gathering -many- from.

Right, we already know expectations are not also factual evidence of anything. But using Apples products as a timeline of history with their product maturity over the course of time, their products become increasingly thinner, which is why I inferred that earlier. It’s at least evidence showing how A first generation product evolves into something thinner as technology continues to evolve and refine with silicon, health sensors, batteries, ect, can all be reflective of a thinner casing, perhaps also to support anything additional that’s included for the Series 4 Apple Watch.

25. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Wow... you just used a semantic argument to call my argument semantic.... another word you should add to your reading list. Because i'm a good sport, I'll help you out with the tireless effort of googling it:

se·man·tics
    səˈman(t)iks/
    noun
    1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.