Too late to get education pricing on applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcosco08, May 24, 2011.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

So my MBP has been acting up lately, so I bought Applecare. After I placed the order, I noticed the education pricing also worked for it, which I thought was only for the hardware. Anyways, since it is prepared for shipment, I can't cancel the order. Is it too late to talk to a rep and get the price lowered?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. lilcosco08, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Doesn't their phone support stops at 11? I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Online rep said I could return it at the apple store and rebuy at the apple store with the discount. Might as well take this route as my MBP has been screwing up lately :)

EDIT2: D'oh. Time zones :p

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try? You could be dialing and getting definitive answers, rather than posting and hoping someone guesses correctly. Apple has the final word.

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Check out Amazon they sell the applecare. I got the applecare for my 17" (2011) for <300 compared to apples 349.
    Note that it was cheaper when I got it earlier.

6. nickcao macrumors member

education discount is 60 pounds. its huge different

7. rikscha, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

rikscha macrumors 6502a

you always get 3 years of applecare when buying your macbook over the higher education store. the extra you can pay is only for extended 3 years telephone support (roughly £60)
    since you have an apple store near you, there is no need to get the telephone support really. at least I rather prefer talking to someone in a shop than over the phone, considering that you hardly will have any hardware issues anyway.

edit:

AppleCare Protection Plan (Extended Telephone Technical Support)
    For up to three years from your computer's original purchase date, the AppleCare Protection Plan (Extended Telephone Technical Support) gives you direct, one-stop access to Apple's award-winning telephone technical support for questions about Apple hardware, Mac OS X, iLife, and iWork.
    Service and support from the people who know your Mac best
    Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan (Extended Telephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered.

For complete details, see terms at www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html.

EMEA CC-HE contract uplift MacBook Pro [+ £60.00]

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That is only true in the UK- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

A quick google search shows Dayton (the OP's location) is in the USA. (Unless there is another Dayton somewhere else?).

9. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Yeah, good ol' dayton Ohio. My nearest apple store is ~1hr away, and I'm only going there because I need my laptop fixed soon because I need it for a project, and my computers tend to die (My last one spontaniously combusted; HP refused to replace it). So the applecare would be really useful

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Try Mactown - this coming from a fellow Daytonian. :)

They'll match student pricing if you pay by cash or probably check. As for Applecare, you can order that from Apple's website with free delivery and student discount. They are also an Apple Repair Center that does Applecare repairs. It's in Miamisburg near where the old Walmart was.

Edit: They should be able to lower the price of the Applecare for you. They'll "return it" in the system then just resell it to you.

11. gmans46 macrumors regular

If I'm buying AppleCare after I get my mbp and it's not with Amex, since I bought my mbp with Amex is the warranty still extended for4 years

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

AppleCare extends the warranty to 3 years from the machine's original purchase date, no matter when you buy it or how you buy it.

If your Amex card has a deal where it offers you a warranty on some purchases then that is great, but it is completely separate.

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm unclear by your post, but AMEX requires both the computer and AppleCare to be purchased on the AMEX card - doesn't have to be same time - but does need to be on the AMEX card.

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think you're right here. Amex extends the factory warranty to double what it originally was. (Extension of up to one year). It doesn't extend off of extended warranties. So Amex gets you a total of 2 years original factory warranty. Applecare's benefit here is the addition of a 3rd year, phone support, and the lack of necessity to file an Amex claim during the extended period.

15. jenzjen, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm correct, but only after spending a lot of time with AMEX insurance specifically on this issue. In a nutshell, AMEX does NOT recognize extended warranties UNLESS the extended warranty is sold, serviced, administered by the same company that sold the original item.

AppleCare is the only extended warranty that I've seen qualify. Every other extended warranty fails the test, as they are usually administered by a third party even though they are sold by the same company that build the original item.

So, your basic understanding regarding extended warranties is correct, AppleCare itself is the corner case.

AMEX provides an extra year (or doubles the original warranty if you have the black card), and since AMEX recognizes AppleCare, AMEX applies their 1 year after AppleCare thus you are covered for 4 years.

There's a few posts out there ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/998783?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...054478-amex-plat-cent-apple-mac-benefits.html

16. blevins321 macrumors 68030

My mistake. Thats excellent news. :). 4th year for my Mini!

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

wish i knew i would get 3 years istead of 1 if i bought it on the education store at apple

went to best buy insttead and got them to match the education pricing instead of buying it online FML

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No - the 3 years is the AppleCare extended warranty. You can get that at education pricing from Apple still as long as your within your first year.

19. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You only get 3 years warranty for free online if you are a UK student. As far as I know no other country offers the same deal.

20. randomrazr macrumors 65816

oh ok that makes more sense. i didnt see anything about 3 year extra online warrenty on the canadian apple store or even the us one.

thanks for the info!

do you got 3 year apple care? it was either 200 or 300 with education pricing for it for a 15inch macbook pro. either way it still expensive. would u say its worth it?

21. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Thanks! Had no idea that place existed haha