Too low Geekbench Score on 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dennisk, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dennisk macrumors newbie

In February I bought the new 15" Macbook Pro with Hi-Res Display and Im very happy with it.

I upgraded from an old 12" Powerbook with 1ghz powerpc processor, so the new one seemed very fast, and scored 8800 in a Geekbench test.

Today i tried testing the Macbook again, and this time the score is only 2800!! :(
    This can't be normal, right? The hard drive isn't even half full, and I have no programs running in the background.

This is the result:
    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/491904
    Can anyone of you guys see if anything is wrong, and where it doesn't perform as it should?

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it helps, but try running your Geekbench in 64 bit mode instead of 32 bit.

3. Dekard, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

4. davmcn macrumors regular

I just ran mine with a lot of crap open at the same time, and got a score of ... 9803 on 32bit.

5. Dennisk thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked your result and it seems that mine is just getting poor results in all the tests, so I can't even see if there is one particular thing I should check up on.

I recently spilled a cup of coffee down my keyboard, but I immediately took everything apart (I know, "Goodbye warranty" but it's gone anyway because of the moisture detectors inside it, and at least I saved it from dying!).
    well, I cleaned everything up perfectly and let it dry completely before I assembled it again. Actually there wasn't really any coffee to see, so I was lucky.

It isn't running hot or acting weird or anything, and I believe that if I did something wrong when I disassembled it, it wouldn't even turn on, or it would short circuit itself, but it hasn't. Thats why I don't get it. Everything is okay EXCEPT it's running slow.

What's wrong, do you have the least idea of what's the case?

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Was the first score pre-coffee spill and the second one post-coffee spill?

7. Prodo123, Oct 7, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

First of all, it's misidentifying the processor.
    Which means GeekBench is probably corrupted.

You should be getting scores near mine: http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/492170

After reviewing the numbers, it seems that all of your stats are divided by 4.

8. Dennisk, Oct 7, 2011

Dennisk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but in my head it only makes sense if the processor either runs perfectly or doesn't run at all after a spill.

The only way, that I can think of, it should run slow now, would be if it runs hot because of some coffee residue inside, but there is none!

----------

It identifies it as a 2635QM with is right. I can't see that anything is misidentified..?

Divided by 4 on a quad core Mac...
    Could it be a possibility that only one core is running? No.. they are all on the same chip, right?

9. dgitalchaos, Oct 7, 2011

dgitalchaos macrumors member

This may be a long shot, but....

I had a power outage which fried my battery. These things run super slow without it, and I was getting the same results as you (as the op).

Wondering if the coffee messed up something with power management.

Now that I got my MacBook back from Apple, it's much faster, will post new scores in a minute...

Attached Files:

10. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

could be running in some kind of safe mode and is running on the one core

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Most likely Hyperthreading is not activating, since it can use all 4 cores according to the numbers.
    Or the OP is mistakenly running this test on a VM. Which is veeeery unlikely.

12. Dennisk thread starter macrumors newbie

YES! :)
    I do have some troubles with the battery, and these tests have been running while the battery isn't recognized.

That must be the answer.

I will try to get hold of a new battery and see if that makes it run as it should again.

But I didn't know that it ran slower without battery. It would make more sense the other way around, but I think I have found the solution now.

Thanks a bunch everyone :D

13. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Yep, macbooks run in a low power slow mode if they don't have battery inserted or detected, it's needed to function at full power and is by design, as full power can peak over the supplied power from adaptor, so it uses battery to top up power.

14. MrRich87 macrumors newbie

15. nomadcoder macrumors newbie

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Memory helps but the SSD Geekbench doesn't take into consideration since it doesn't test the drive.

----------

Good #'s for a 15"...

17. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

How are you guys getting these score?
    Try turning off all apps except geekbench and run in 64 bit.

When my MBP was stock (2.2GHz i7,4GB, 500GB HDD) I still scored well over 10000

18. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

I had the same problem after working on my MBP (replaced thermal paste) - I think this happens when the system gets started once without the battery connected. Interestingly this continued to happen even with the battery connected - but there was an easy fix:

To fix this just perform a SMC reset, that worked for me:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964
    I've also started my mac by holding the powerbutton for more than 10 sec. and then starting normally but this may be not necessary.

19. srshaw macrumors 6502

20. Penooker macrumors member

This worked! Thanks! I have a Macbook Air Late 2011, and the benchmarks were a quarter of what they should be. Did the SMC reset, and it's now four times faster.

The reason I even thought to do a benchmark was because my Air has been hellishly slow for the past few weeks. I was about to wipe the entire HD, but luckily the benchmark and this post helped me figure it out!

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I ran in 32 (didn't really see the need to pay for the 64) and was getting around 9950, imagine it would go up if running 64.

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

SSD will have no effect on Geekbench, and the memory upgrade worth maybe 100pts tops.

Geekbench doesn't look at drive or video at all.