Too mainstream?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blancoBronco, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

Is anybody else a little annoyed at how mainstream the iPhone has become? I felt so unique when I was one of the only people I knew who had the iPhone. But now, so many of my friends have it. It's become like the RAZR, it's the default phone to get on AT&T.

2. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I felt the same way about Metallica back before the black album, then everyone jumped on "Enter Sandman."

Eh. I got over it.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you only happy with your phone if you are the only one who has it? :rolleyes: Just cause a lot of other people have it, doesn't make it any less special. I think it is a good thing, because it gives developers a bigger audience to make apps for.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree,

but at the same time, Steve Job said in the first Keynote during Macworld that his goal was to sell 10 Million iPhone by the end of 2008. I knew then "The Unique Feeling" wouldn't last long.

I thought it was funny that when I first got the iPhone back in June 2007, whenever someone asked me to see it, if I showed it to them I was known as a Show-Off, but when I refused and kept it in my pocket, I was known as a Stuck-Up who doesn't want to let people see the iPhone. I'm glad thats over.

5. matttye macrumors 601

If anything that's a good thing..

More users = more apps = bigger app communities = better iPhone experience.

6. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I feel the same about The Office.
    :rolleyes:

but in reguard to the iPhone...
    but almost.... but not quite. there are a lot of people who are not techfreaks;) who have an iPhone. and that kinda buggs me.

7. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Not for nothing, though, I think that attitude of feeling special because you have some exclusive phone (or anything else) is a bit odd.

I mean, yeah, a ton of people have the phone, but it does what I need it to do.
    There. Done. End of story.

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

You are no longer a unique snowflake.

I can't believe this is a real thread.

9. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

the worst is when you see the old person who can't figure out how to use it for anything other than calling their family. it's like "why pay so much money just to use the phone. get a jitterbug instead"

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

well the iPhone is intuitive.:rolleyes:

11. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

It's a real thread because I'm entitled to my opinion. I felt unique because I had a phone that not many other people I know had. It could do so many more things than any phone my friends had.

I know that it can do even more things now, but when 4 out of my 5 closest friends have it, they don't need me to check the score of a football game or check tomorrow's weather forecast. I liked that feeling of importance

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I went with the iPhone because of its capabilities. Definitely not to impress someone, or to make me feel that I am part of an elite group. That would be a waste of money IMHO.

One thing to keep in mind, as more individuals go with the iPhone the ecosystem grows which provides users with more choices and options.

13. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I am Jack's lost sense of entitlement.

Not for nothing, but maybe that feeling comes down to more than the iPhone's proliferation.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Yep, I got my Iphone just to piss you off.

There have been other post like this, it did not go well for the OP. Just word to the unwise.l

15. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Yeah, I'm completely underwhelmed by this thread.

If I have a need to feel special because of my iPhone, I have problem. When so many people buy the same thing, I tend to think I made a good choice (as they did) by buying the best smart phone on the market.

16. Namek macrumors newbie

Agreed, I work at a car dealer and had 2 old folks trying to pair both their iphones to the car bluetooth. They didn't even know how to turn on bluetooth on the iPhone. I spent 30 mins pairing and showing them how use use THEIR own phones.

17. matttye macrumors 601

My first experience with the iPhone was slightly different...

All of my friends were like "oooh, ahhh" .. until I tried to bluetooth somebody a picture I'd taken with the camera only to find I couldn't!

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Yes, unfortunately it is a real thread, you posted it. What is not real is your mental attitude toward a device. If your iphone made you feel important, then you have other issues which we can't cover here.

I don't know what kind of phone your friends had, but what could your iphone do that a Treo 700 or 750 could not do? Make a call, browse the web, buy and download apps? If your friends had a PDA, I bet they could do things you couldn't in the past, like cut and paste, mms etc. I guess you mean the accelerometer. :)

19. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

1) i got the iphone for the same reason

2) i didn't say i felt elite because i got it; i felt unique

3) i acknowledge that the iphone community's growth has created things like the app store

All i'm asking is if anyone else felt unique if they got the iphone when it first came out and if that sense of uniqueness is gone and they miss it

20. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I understand where the OP is coming from, but come on. That feeling, that "wow this is so badass I have one of, if not the most sought after mobile phones in the world" is a natural thing but in no way should it last or identify you.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There's a good chance if you rely on technology to make you feel unique you will be disappointed.

Be happy that you introduced your friends to wonderful technology and capability. :)

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

And I quote: I liked that feeling of importance. It seems you have another issue also. Boy they are just racking up.

23. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

importance and elite are different.

importance is people needing you for something,
    elite is thinking you're better than everyone else

I felt important: my friends would always ask me to check something on the internet for them

I didn't feel like I was better than them because of it

24. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Point taken.
    You see checking sports scores or the internet as important. I see it as being useful.

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Who cares? When i run into other people that try to show off their iPhone to me, i start talking about SSH and jailbreaking and make them not feel so cool anymore when they have to ask WTF i’m talking about. Ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.