Too Many Actuations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lharvest, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lharvest macrumors regular

Does anyone have any real world experience with how many actuations can be expected from a 40D? I believe Canon says about 100,000. If so, should I have no problem with buying a used 40D with around 40,000 actuations? With my XSi, I've put about 16,000 on in 18 months. So, I figure I would have about 5 and half years worth of camera if I remain at a similar pace.

Am I thinking soundly or should I be more concerned?

Thanks in advance.

2. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

A shutter replacement isn't the end of the world...

3. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Sometimes it's hard to tell how many actuations have taken place. For example, sometime back my 40D got "weird" on me. A caution appeared on the screen indicating that the memory card was corrupt and that I needed to format it. I formatted it with the camera, and everything was fine after, except that the photo count began at 0001 instead of 6,995 or so.

I would not worry too much about actuations if you are getting a good deal, but I would check with Canon to see how much a new shutter mechanism costs. The 40D is quite a nice camera. I plan to keep mine as backup when I upgrade to another body three years from now.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Also, if you're jumping from an XSi to a 40D in 18 months, there is also a chance that in 18-24 months you may considering moving to a 7D. If you're getting a really good deal on that 40D, I wouldn't hesitate much.

5. lharvest thread starter macrumors regular

The deal would be $475 for everything from the original box plus 3 Canon batteries (for a total of 4) and 4G CF card.

It sounds reasonable given the high actuations.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

Is that deal on FredMiranda? I saw an ad for one with the same clicks.

Seems kinda high priced for soo many clicks. I just bought one on ebay with 5000 clicks with 2 x 4GB cards, 3 batteries and everything for $650 shipped. Still more than i wanted to pay (well shipping was $18).

A shutter replacement is about $250 or so. I know that people have gotten way more than the 150K that canon states the 1D series can endure. I am sure it doesn't just give out at 100K.

For me, I wouldn't buy anything with more than 10K. But that is just me.

7. lharvest thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - it is the deal on FM. What would you say is a reasonable price? It is heavier on the actuations than most on that board, but is at least $100 less than the less expensive ones.

It's a hobby for me and I'm really looking for something that is faster than my XSi but won't break the bank. This one looked pretty good.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

If it is in good shape, then why not. It does seem high. One of the higher mileage 40Ds i have seen. Why not just put up a "WTB 40D" thread on the B&S forums? It costs to sell in the B&S, but you can do the 3 month package (image upload as well) for $14.99.

Also, a shutter replacement is not the end of the world, as others have stated. I would rather pay the $100 more and get a better one. Check POTN's b&S forums as well.

9. anubis macrumors 6502a

This.

If the shutter breaks, it's a $200 fix. Not a huge deal.

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

there are two more 40Ds listed on the B&S forum at FM. One is like $575 with 700 clicks and the other one has like 12K and it is $600 or something.

11. lharvest thread starter macrumors regular

Just to close the loop - I ended up buying a used 40D on eBay with a BG-E2N grip, 3 batteries, and a 2 GB CF card. It had about 5800 actuations, so I think I got a better deal.

Thanks for the advice.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, this one is literally brand new compared to the other one you were looking at. Enjoy it!