Too many Apple logos..argghhh

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thankins, Jul 27, 2011.

1. thankins macrumors 6502

I need some advice and thought I would post in the MBA section.

I recently purchased a 11' MBA (i5 model) with 128 SSD drive

I also have a mac mini (2010 model) used for handbrake and iTunes server, Apple TV, 27 Apple Cinema Display, iPad 2 (64 GB, 3G), iPhone 4, and a 15 inch MacBook Pro i5, 120 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM

I am a system admin and work from home a lot and also when traveling to clients that are in the area. I am not sure what I should do with my setup.

I thought about making the the MBP a stationary machine connected to the Cinema Display.Keep the mini as the media server and then use the MBA for traveling and when onsite at clients.

May concern is that the MBA may be a little small to use.

I mostly use mail.app and a RDP client to remote into Windows machines.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

2. gcans macrumors member

gcans

2 things

First of all be more clear with your title so that people know what you're talking about
    And secondly I think the Macbook Air should be fine if you're just using it for small stuff...

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

To simplify things, you could actually just eliminate the Mac Mini altogether, using the MBP as a stationary machine. The MBP can act as a media server, and with so many computers around, you might not even be getting much use out of all of them.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Buy an iPod?

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Replace your mac mini, mbp and apple cinema display with a base 27" iMac. Use MBA as portable machine. Less computers is always better (I love tech and all, but I want one place with all my stuff; I never want to be spread between two machines).

6. theRick119 macrumors member

Not sure about rdp on the 11 depending on the native res of the machines you are connecting too. But I think you'll absolutely love the portability of it given your frequent (albeit short) travel.

I know it is rough screen sharing to 1080p iMacs for me with the 11" but I dont think the 13 is much of an improvement there.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

im in the same boat, currently i have a 11" air for everything else except working with photoshop, a macbook pro 13" i7 docked with 27" cinema display, an iPad 2, iPhone 4, and a mac mini as a media server in my home.

im gonna simplify my life. Things im gonna sell:

27" cinema display and 13" mbp i7 since i only use it for working with photoshop and i never bring the mbp anywhere because i already have 11" air.

Going to sell the mini too because i watch movies alot from my iPad 2, so it's better to use the 11" air that runs airvideo app, so i can stream movies to my iPad 2.

Thing im gonna buy:

buy a 21" iMac to work with photoshop. i hate the 27" because it's too big and sometimes give me eyesore, that's why im selling my 27" cinema display.

8. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I would recommend ditching the Mac Mini and the MBP and getting an iMac as suggested.

Also, why not return the MBA and get a 13inch if the 11" is too small? It's only $100 more than the current model you have. If you don't wish to do that, full screen apps make the screen seem much bigger than it actually is.

9. thankins thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

I am going to look at selling the cinema display and MBP/Mac mini

Also going to look at making the MBP just a stationary machine. Any concern using the MBP in closed lid mode with HandBrake? The mac mini screams when it is using handbrake