Too many cancellations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sevoman, Jan 23, 2016.

1. sevoman macrumors member

sevoman

This may seem like an odd question, but is there a limit to how many time a person can configure a build to order system on the Apple store website, confirm the purchase and then cancel before it is shipped?

I ask because admittedly I have configured an iMac several times only to cancel the orders. All orders were cancelled before shipment.. just clicked cancel and got confirmation via email that it was cancelled right away. A few of the times I did see the total amount listed as pending on my credit card but the pending charge disappeared after 24-48 hours.

I have heard of some people getting banned from the tore for too many returns and worry that all my cancellations would amount to some sort of ban as well.

On the same subject, does anyone know how long it takes from receiving an order to them actually starting the build process? I always imagine the computer being built to spec half way and then they get my cancellation and think "f@ck, this guy again!" lol. I am sure it's not such a small operation but I wonder if there is someone seeing all this.

Any insight?
    Thanks

2. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

3. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Speaking for myself, whenever I've started to think about buying a computer, I've played around with various configurations online for several days or even weeks, just to see my options and remind myself of what they cost. I of course cancel all of the "orders" up to the point where I'm actually ready to buy (and even then I'll sometimes decide on a stock model and just go to the physical store to buy it).

4. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

I can totally understand that, but why would someone go beyond the confirmation step? I could see that happen once or twice with buyers remorse but otherwise.. I have no clue if they do it but i could totally understand apple banning buyers with strange/suspicious behaviour. I think i read about someone being banned by Amazon on this forum for too many returns/cancellations.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Ah, I see now. @sevoman, why not just ask Apple? It can't be all that unusual for people to go back and forth when considering an expensive purchase, but since you're wondering, just ask 'em.

6. sevoman thread starter macrumors member

sevoman

I think you are right. It is an expensive purchase and I DO vacillate after entering the order. I guess I'll just do it one last time when I'm ready and see what happens.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've done this, gone and configured something and then cancelled. If you're nervous about tracking, then make sure you're not signed into Apple. Personally, Apple doesn't care what you configure and cancel. All they care about is what you configure and then buy.