Too many choices...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marballe, Feb 17, 2014.

1. marballe macrumors newbie

I plan on getting either a used or refurbished rMBP 15" for Lightroom and Photoshop. However, there are so many choices, and I can't seem to find a good comparison for different models... So, my question to you is: how would you rank these three (that I seems to see a lot on eBay) in terms of powerfulness? Or do you know a site that do such comparison?

Choice A: Mid 2012 2.7 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1 GB [i.e. top customized mid 2012]

Choice B: Early 2013 2.7 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1 GB [i.e. mid-level early 2013]

Choice C: Late 2013 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 5200/Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2 GB [i.e. mid-level late 2013 with less CPU freq. but better GPU]

Thanks!!

2. Redskinsfan10 macrumors member

In terms of powerfulness?

C
    B
    A

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Refurbed comes with an Apple warranty.; used does not. Go refurbed.

4. marballe thread starter macrumors newbie

So, the customized top model can't really hold up against the next generation base top model?

Well, I don't think warranty is a concern, since many of the used one have extended AppleCare...

5. Sparkzer macrumors newbie

Being dead honest, spec-wise. The top 2 are exactly the same. Only differences would be, if any. Is the OS version. If you an get the Top 2 for really cheap. Then buy it. I got mine for a steal.

6. marballe thread starter macrumors newbie

OS version? Can't you just update it to OS X Mavericks?
    And the problem is that they aren't cheap at all... Lol. They keep going up to the $1700-1800 range; that's why I am considering putting out $400 more for the refurbished.

7. RMXO macrumors 6502a

1st one should have a 756GB instead of 512GB for flash storage SSD for top customized.

If you have a Craigslist.org in your area check that out and you might be able to get lucky and find a steal. But $400 for a late 2013 refurb is a good choice if you 're unable to find a steal on CL.

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I would think, C > A > B.

I would recommend refurb just to avoid any hassle with knowing someone else may have abused it (without the inspection refurbs go through). Keep in mind the 2013 model has much faster memory.

In terms of raw power though (CPU) they're all within 15% difference probably. And the 650M to 750M difference is almost nothing. ~10%.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

C, A, B;

The 2.7GHz processor in the Mid 2012 is faster than the Early 2013 model due to more cache. The 2.3GHz model despite clocking lower is as fast as the older processors. The latter also has better graphics, faster PCIe storage, faster WiFi, and battery battery life.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd shoot for option C, and the its really a toss up between the other two.

11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Go for option C and do some shopping around. They're often heavily discounted on Amazon or places like that. Often £100s less than retail. At one point the 2.3Ghz 2013 Macbook Pro was down to £1,799. That kind of saving from shopping around + the fact it's a brand new system and significantly faster than the older i7s, even the 2.7Ghz one pretty much makes it the only sensible choice unless you get the older models mentioned for 13" Macbook Pro prices but that's highly unlikely without resorting to the used market.