Too Many Choices...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
I've been trying to decide which Mac to get. I thought the 24" iMac would make it easier, but priced with the options I want, notsomuch.

24" iMac 2.33GHz 2GB RAM 500GB HDD 7600GT BT Keyboard & MM Applecare = $2,713 (after discount & tax)

Mac Pro 2.66GHz 1GB RAM 250GB HDD BT & AE 2nd SD BT Keyboard & MM Applecare = $2,716 (after discount & tax)
(stock video card, get 23"ACD later, 320GB Seagate 7200.10 $100 later)

20" iMac refurb 2.0GHz Core Duo 512MB RAM 250GB HDD X1600 = $1,339 (including extra 512MB RAM for 1GB Total)
No Applecare, sell the iMac by next June & upgrade to a Leopard iMac or Mac Pro.

20" iMac G5 used 2.1GHz 512MB RAM 250GB HDD Built-in iSight = asking $1,000 OBO
The guy says it is running Tiger but not sure if he has iLife '05 or '06, bought it from CompUSA in January.

Does the iMac G5 have 2x256 or 1x512. If so, can I just add 512 or 1GB to the empty slot, or can I get to the other slot?

If I get either 20" I will sell it in the next 9 months. Will it be hard to sell the G5 iMac then? What would you offer for it. Refurb someone can still get Applecare for after I sell it, G5 iMac I have to get it before I sell and transfer. I really want a mid-tower otherwise a Mac Pro or 24" iMac, but I figure if I get one of the 20" iMacs I can wait till after MWSF to see what happens and whatever I choose get Leopard on a new machine. The Mac Pro is overkill for me now but I plan on doing alot of FCE and some CS3 down the line. I am still on Panther and neither the G4 or PB I have have SuperDrives so I need something newer/faster.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,055
6
Yahooville S.C.
iMacs are a good value and since you dont own a monitor why not? The new 20"& 24 are a nice deal but I would stay away from the used G5. Its not the future and they have had a less then stellar history and graphics cant be upgraded.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
Dont Hurt Me said:
iMacs are a good value and since you dont own a monitor why not? The new 20"& 24 are a nice deal but I would stay away from the used G5. Its not the future and they have had a less then stellar history and graphics cant be upgraded.
I have a 19" LaCie CRT that is great that I have used with my G4. I'm thinking if it doesn't have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and possibly still iLife '05, I might offer him less than $900 for the G5 without KB & Mouse. I can throw a little RAM in and use it for a while, getting a new Mac next spring.

What do you think the G5 iMac is worth?
Could I still get decent $$ for it next year?
 

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
1,482
1
I am not sure it helps to add to your choices but how about 24" iMac without the processor, memory, HD or keyboard updates. The slightly faster processor isn't worth the cost. You can upgrade the RAM more cheaply yourself. Same for the HD (or add an external). If your not going to be sitting across the room (which I guess you could do with a 24" screen), you do not need the wireless keyboard or mouse.

Even with an upgraded graphics card (a good idea, I think) the total cost is lowered about $600.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You have to be VERY careful with iMac G5's
the early Rev's had quite a few issues, motherboards, fan noise etc.

The G5 processors run HOT and that is what caused most of the problems.

I would go for a well equipped Core Duo 2 iMac 20" and see how you feel after using it for a while.

OR.....

If you are considering an upgrade in 9 months, you might even consider getting
a MacBook 2.0 for now and then once you have enough for the MacPro tower,
You'll have both portablity and performance.

Nice thing about the MacBook is that you can run it through your Lacie if you're
working on something that needs a larger display.

You really went all out on the 24" iMac, so you might consider cutting back a bit on some extras.

Right now the Mac Pro is the best all around machine, but over the next year, we'll be looking at Quad Cores, so I understand your concern.

Bang for buck wise, the 20" Core Duo 2 is probably your best solution.
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
6,552
1,468
FFTT said:
You have to be VERY careful with iMac G5's
the early Rev's had quite a few issues, motherboards, fan noise etc.

The G5 processors run HOT and that is what caused most of the problems.

I would go for a well equipped Core Duo 2 iMac 20" and see how you feel after using it for a while.

OR.....

If you are considering an upgrade in 9 months, you might even consider getting
a MacBook 2.0 for now and then once you have enough for the MacPro tower,
You'll have both portablity and performance.

Nice thing about the MacBook is that you can run it through your Lacie if you're
working on something that needs a larger display.

You really went all out on the 24" iMac, so you might consider cutting back a bit on some extras.

Right now the Mac Pro is the best all around machine, but over the next year, we'll be looking at Quad Cores, so I understand your concern.

Bang for buck wise, the 20" Core Duo 2 is probably your best solution.
Yeah, the iMac G5 is the iSight 2.1 so it is the last pre-Intel model, nonetheless I think I will pass on that.

I don't want a notebook, have my wife's 12" PB for surfing on the couch and whatever I get I plan to sell between March-June at the latest.

I don't think I'll pull the trigger on the Mac Pro since it is overkill, and I won't be using anything in the short term that really takes advantage of the 2 Dual Woodcrests.

I think between the 20" refurb and the 20" Core 2 Duo, I can get the Core 2 Duo for about $40 more than the refurb (after adding RAM to bring it up to 1GB as well) because of the discount I can get on the Core 2 Duo, so the refurb isn't the best deal for me. The resale on the Core 2 Duo will be better next year anyway. I thought about a more stripped down version of the 24", still planning on selling, but with the higher cost, I might lose more in the resale, so the holding cost could be higher and I don't think I want to run that risk. I can probably still get $1,000 -$1,150 for the 20" Core 2 Duo next spring. It will cost me about $1,400 including tax. That's not bad. After Leopard I'll get something longer term.

And hey, thanks for your input. I appreciae it. Whatever I get has to be soon. I'm still using Panther and have never had a SuperDrive. So I'm real anxious to get on Tiger, Dashboard, iDVD, and iLife '06. Hell my .Mac page is built out of the old templates.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I think you've made a wise choice and it's a pleasure to help with your research.

The Core Duo 2 iMac will be a significant upgrade as it is from your G4 systems.

You're getting a system faster and more efficient, with a better GPU than my
G5 2.0 8DIMM tower for less than what I spent just over a year ago.

You'll have enough power to do everything you want to do and have the time to figure out just how much more you'll need on the next upgrade.

Good plan.